We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IPad and safety

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Topic
IPad and safety

When I'm exploring the city I like to have my iPad out to refer to Google Maps to figure out what's around me and where I'm going. I don't have a smartphone to do the same. Am I going to be "screaming out" to petty thieves if I walk down streets in Budapest with my iPad in hand? (In Singapore and Shanghai, it wouldn't be a problem.)

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,400 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IPad and safety

I have never heard of anything in Budapest ever being snatched out of a (sober) person's hands, though I am sure it has happened sometime. It's a very safe city, and while tourists are always a bit vulnerable by virtue of their generic cluelessness, wherever they go, in Budapest that vulnerability tends to be limited to the relatively rare pickpocket or scam (and an unattended course or camera bag might walk away, though even that is rare in my experience; i have more often had people running back after me to bring me something I left behind).

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IPad and safety

I think your biggest concern would be people seeing you put it away and sneaking it out of your bag. The likelihood of that happening are no worse in Budapest than any other major city... While there is crime in any city, subjectively I feel like it is more rare in Budapest.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,986 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IPad and safety

I'd be more afraid of dropping it or sitting on it at a restaurant. A guidebook with a map would be easier to deal with.

Pjk

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,802 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IPad and safety

Does Google maps work off line? If not, you'll need to get a local SIM card.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IPad and safety

You can use TripAdvisor maps for offline use. There are other maps as well including Google maps this has been available off and on, but never for Budapest afaik

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: IPad and safety

I have data worldwide, so I won't need a local SIM card.

I'm only there for 2 days and have been there previously quite a few times, just not with Google Maps, so I don't see the point of a guidebook right now - I'm flying off tonight.

I know I sounded paranoid, but on my first visit to Warsaw (hardly the same country, I know) a local teen tried to snatch my phone out of my hands as I was sitting on a tram. He didn't succeed, but it wasn't a nice introduction to the city.

I usually walk on streets holding just the iPad like you would a clutch purse, not in any bag most of the time. Never struck me as being prey for snatch thieves until a well-meaning friend warned me against it - of all places, in downtown Perth, which I also think is pretty safe.

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,802 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IPad and safety

I agree that a guidebook would probably be more useful, rather than lugging a laptop around (I'm not sure how big an ipad is, but it looks quite large on the pictures). You can also then look up information about where you are. A guidebook doesn't run out of batteries, either 😊

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: IPad and safety

An iPad is better, I don't want to buy a guidebook for every city I visit, I go to at least 3 different ones a month! It would get very expensive, very quickly.

IPad is much lighter than my laptop.

Let's not turn this into a discussion of iPad vs guidebook, shall we?

Hungary
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IPad and safety

I'm a bit surprised someone tried to snatch your iPad in Warsaw, I find the city much safer than Budapest having lived in both...

Anyways, you have to be aware of your surroundings since nothing is 100%. Just be aware Friday/Saturday are crazy days so avoid flaunting in then since people don't really think straight when they are intoxicated.

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,802 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IPad and safety

I was just concerned that an iPad might be too big and cumbersome to carry around, but if you're happy with that. Fine 😊