We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport to Gellert Hotel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
public transport to Gellert Hotel

hi all - we are arriving in January and would like some help and comments on how to travel from International Train station (arriving from Vienna) to Gellert Hotel on arrival in Budapest. Thanks for your help, Becca

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

Dear Becca, there is no such station called international, but the trains from Vienna arrive most likely to Keleti palyaudvar (eastern railway station). Take the bus no. 7 or 73 (not the ones marked with red number, since they are express lines with less stops), they stop at Szent Gellert ter (St. Gellert square), where the hotel is located.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

thanks - didnt know the name of the train station - instructions are great - thanks again :o) Becca

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

frombecca,

I just did this less than a month ago. At Keleti, go out one of the side doors to your right (right from the front of your train), and turn left, looking for the 7 bus. It's a little forward of the station. This avoids any stairs or steps, which is a boon if you have luggage. The bus stop is in front of the Gellert.

Alternatively, see if your train stops at Kelenfold station. Most, if not all, trains from Vienna do. Get off at Kelenfold, go down a set of stairs, then follow the underground passage to the end, up another set of stairs. There is a tram stop directly in front of the exit from this, about 100 ft along. I believe that all trams from here go past the Gellert; but I know that the #49 does. The tram stop at the Gellert is even closer to the hotel than the bus stop. I used this several times in November on the way to or from Vienna. (I too was staying at the Gellert.)

Just be sure that you have a ticket for either tram or bus.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

yeah, both the 49 and the 19 trams (departing from the kelenföldi railway station) stops at gellért tér. and if i know right all trains from vienna stops at kelenföld, but only for some minutes, so if you want to have lots of time for getting off and everything, than travel to keleti.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

Thanks all for your help and the options. Happy travelling! Becca

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

The 7:20 a.m. train from Vienna takes less than 3 hours (they claim) and I don't believe that it stops at Kelenfold - doublecheck if it is relevant to your plans.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

i dont think there is a train departing at 7:20 from vienna, and every trains tops at kelenföld, according to the official schedule. (it was changed on the 10th of dec)

here you can check it out, hopefully the link will work, if not, just make a quick search at www.elvira.hu)

http://www.elvira.hu/elvira.dll/uf?ed=06.12.12&i=Wien+Westbf.&e=BUDAPEST&v=&mikor=0&d=&sk=5&u=43&x=71&y=25

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

I don't think there is a 7:20 either. According to

plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/query.exe/en…

which I use regularly, there are 32 trains/day from various stations in in Vienna to various 'main' stations in Budapest (Keleti, Deli, and even one to Nyugati). All but one of these (a train where one has to change at Wiener Neustadt and Sopron) appears to stop at Kelenfold.

Note for Budapest 183: I have always found that the schedules above correspond 100% with Elvira.

9. Re: public transport to Gellert Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 17, 2009