We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Budapest

Scarsdale
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Budapest

My husband and I are planning a trip which will include Budapest. We are avid sight seers and like getting a good feel for a city. Is 2 1/2 days enough? Can anyone suggest a company with good walking tours that will cover the city? We do not like to be with large groups.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Budapest

hi,

i dont know about any company making only walking tours, budapest is bigger than that.

i think you should go for a tour with ideal city tour. they have a 4 hours tour, including 2 walking parts as well (in the city park/heroes square area, and in the castle district). and the maximum people on their tours are 10 people if im correct, the guiding is live, and only 1 language in 1 time. maybe you can try that, than go back to those places you liked the most.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Budapest

you'd be hard pressed to see all of the sights of Budapest in 2 1/2 days....but I wouldn't be worried if that's all you have. You'll need to work hard. The city is pretty spread out so you'll spend a lot of time in transit. My only fear with what the last poster said is you'll waste precious time on the tour then have to go a second time to the places you want to see. I would recommend researching in a tour guide what sights you want to see and getting the necessary backgroun on that site then going. Most of the stuff will be quick trips...you won't need to linger there very long. I would say the only exception is the basillica...but I'm also a basillica person and spending time at one of the baths, if that's what you'd like to do. If you skip the bath and the parliment, 2 1/2 days should be no problem though.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Budapest

you'd be hard pressed to see all of the sights of Budapest in 2 1/2 days....but I wouldn't be worried if that's all you have. You'll need to work hard. The city is pretty spread out so you'll spend a lot of time in transit. My only fear with what the last poster said is you'll waste precious time on the tour then have to go a second time to the places you want to see. I would recommend researching in a tour guide what sights you want to see and getting the necessary backgroun on that site then going. Most of the stuff will be quick trips...you won't need to linger there very long. I would say the only exception is the basillica...but I'm also a basillica person and spending time at one of the baths, if that's what you'd like to do. If you skip the bath and the parliment, 2 1/2 days should be no problem though.

Seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Budapest

My wife and I are going to Eastern Europe next year and I'm doing research now on Budapest. Try Rick Steve's book on The Best of Eastern Europe which includes a chapter on Budapest sites. Rick says that you need at least two days and three nights in Budapest. I have used Rick's books before and never been disappointed in his advice.

5. Re: First time in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:54 pm, January 18, 2007
6. Re: First time in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:54 pm, January 18, 2007
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
120 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Budapest

We used the Hop on and Hop off bus tour which was great. You get your tickets at the Interncontintal Hotel and board and they take you around the city showing some amazing buildings etc. it stops in various places and you can get off and tour that spot thenreturn for the next bus to pick you up.

Your ticket lasts for 24 hours and it runs to a good timetable. We did this and thought it was great as it takes in the main areas but also lets you see other places and gives you a good feel for the city and how it is spread about.

You will really like Budapest I thought it was a great city. I found the begging and the grafitti in the streets a bit off putting at first but you get used to it and despite some of the horror stories we had heard about getting ripped off etc this never happened to us. Keep you wits about you as you would in any large city.

The rough guide to Budapest is helpful gives you some good tips etc.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Budapest

My husband and I were in Budapest 2 years ago. I was not that excited at first to go to Budapest but once I got there I really enjoyed it. We also got a city tour that left at the Intercontinental Hotel .It was very good--I am not sure if it was the same tour a previous person mentioned. My husband and I enjoyed just walking around both Buda and Pest. We took a tour of the Opera House which was very interesting . I wrote down many of the things we did--I will look the information up and write it later on another posting.

We also rented a car and drove to Bratisavia which I loved.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
86 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Budapest

Visited Budapest many times. One of my favorite places. I am headed back there in January. If you can spend more time in Budapest, I would plan on it. The hotels offer info on city sightseeing tours. I took the City Tour the first time I visited. Saw the highlights and then went back to visit the places that interest me most. . Enjoyed it immensely. Lots of areas to walk. Lots to see on both Buda and Pest. Nice pedistrian area . Budapest is spread out but they also have a good transportation system. You can buy a pass or individual tickets. If you have not booked a hotel, check out the Fortuna Boat Hotel. It is in a great location and close to many sights. Restraunt is good too. Dont miss the Museum of Terror! It will give you insight into what horror these people have lived thru. The people are wonderful and very helpful. I have walked all over and have never felt unsafe day or night. Enjoy your trip!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Budapest

The problem I have with the hop on hop off bus is that it makes very few stops. For instance it doesn't stop at the opera, the national museum, the bascillica, Hero's square or the museum of terror. I can't remember what the stops are but only makes like 4 of them. Maybe I was on a different bus, but the one I was on left fro the intercontinental too.

In my opinion though, unless you're spending 5 days there you rob yourself of the best things about budapest like the baths, the hike up Gellert hill, Margit Island and the little shops all over. My personal preference is to see the sites in a day or two then linger around for a few more days enjoying the culture....and I find those first couple days tend to be meaningless....but everyone has their own preference.