We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

Save Topic
Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

I placed a quantity of travel money in my hand luggage before going on holiday, somewhere safe and hidden from opportunists and pickpockets. Ryanair yellow tagged my bag whilst boarding for the plane at Stansted meaning the bag was put into the hold but I didn't have time to reorganise and remove any important contents such as my money hidden inside.

I guess the yellow tag is some kind of giveaway to baggage handlers that there could be valuables that owners in the same position haven't had time to remove. When we finally arrived at our hotel after a long days travelling, I opened my bag to discover that they had rummaged around in there, found and taken my money. Not a good way to start a holiday...

This is just a reminder to take care when carrying money abroad.

Apart from this incident, Budapest was great :)

Enjoy your travels

47 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

But Hannah, you should have thought about long before you went anywhere near an airport.

Tripadvisor is far from being the only place where people are told to always carry cash on their person, not in a travel bag which may be taken away from you.

Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

This just happened to us this past weekend going to Barcelona! We were told our bags need to be checked in right on the tarmac, we didn't have time to remove our valuables! When we arrived in Barcelona we got a taxi and only on arrival at hotel by taxi did we realise that we had been robbed! My watch and €300! It has been a futile attempt and their attitude has put me off flying Ryanair ever again! They don't care and didn't even show any empathy to my complaint!

Messed up trip big time

1 post
Save Reply
43. Re: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

I just flew to Barcelona and also had about 300 euros stolen from my bag. Was meant to go in the cabin but a yellow tag was put on my bag at the departure gate and it got put in the hold. Reported to police who said it is very common. Took a very long time for luggage to appear on the carousel so I think it was taken at Barcelona airport. Unfortunately learnt the hard way but airlines must be aware of this problem and should do more to stop it.

County Waterford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

Sorry to hear about your losses, horrible way to start a holiday.In future Ryanair are only allowing a small carry on bag anyway ( unless you pay extra) , so hopefully that should be the end of it. I totally understand the fact that you are rushed and in a queue when your bag is tagged unexpectedly for the hold, you still don't expect to be robbed! I stayed in quite a seedy guesthouse in Bp last time that had reviews about the cleaners opportunistically stealing small amounts of cash from luggage so I bought a 1 euro luggage lock. A stiff breeze would have opened it, but it's enough of a deterrent to a quick.opportunistic thief.

County Waterford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

Hi Johnfarago. I think the reason Ryanair comes up so frequently is the common thread of the unplanned nature of the events. People are in the airport with 101 things to think about,they've put valuables in their carry on luggage and are caught by surprise when this luggage is stowed.With other airlines you know well in advance which is carry on and which is checked luggage, herein lies the problem with Ryanair .Obviously the baggage handlers are attached to individual airports and aren't linked specifically to Ryanair.Thanks to all who posted about their losses, a timely reminder to everyone to keep valuables either on your person,or if larger, in a small carry on bag that fit's under the seat in front of you.Thanks also to Johnfarago for his multitude of well thought out posts and replies, true Budapest expert along with RomanCitizen and a few others.

Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

This happened to me last Friday! When we arrived in Barcelona around 16:30, the bags took ages to come out as well!

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest

People are total cretins !

I have a number of really valuable travel items ... semi-pro compact camera, cheap tablet computer, phone ... even then worth maybe only £1500.

I keep these items with passport and cards (don't travel with cash) securely held in a handbag and a small sports bag which fits under-seat if / whatever zealous hold baggage avoiders do to fill overhead lockers.

Anybody who steals from my checked in bag is welcome to soiled knickers and sweated T-shirts on the return, even then a basic 50p padlock should keep wandering hands wandering elsewhere.

Reply to: Theft from Ryanair baggage London Stansted to Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted