We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

From my understanding, trains to Bratislava leave from Keleti pu. station in Budapest. Is this correct?

1. How much does this service cost for a single one way ticket?

2. Do I have to purchase this online or can I just buy it at the train station?

Edited: 8:28 pm, July 01, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

Do the work yourself. Go on the Hungarian Railway Website, just put MAV into your google. Put in the necessary information and you will see the timetable along with the length, number of connections and the cost. Different trains vary as to cost in addition it depends on how far out you are booking. You cannot book online more than 60 days out. You can book online or once you get to Budapest, go to Keliti and buy your tickets at the station ahead of time. Trains going between Vienna and Budapest stop in Bratislava.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

No, they dont. Trains to Vienna dont stop at Bratislava, they dont go that way. Trains to Bratislava go on the left bank of the Danube, while trains to Vienna on the right!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
892 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

Yes I took a train from Budapest to Bratislava many a time before and Vienna is on a different route. The Berlin train stops in Bratislava.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

Ok so I got it backwards. I am pretty sure when we went from Vienna to Budapest we stopped in Bratislava. Was bot aware direction made a difference.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
892 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

I am 100 percent sure there are no direct trains on the Vienna - Budapest route that stop in Bratislava. It would be a detour and would add a lot of time to the journey.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

I doesnt make a difference. The train to/from Vienna doesnt stop in Bratislava. The Railjets go via Győr.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

Obviously there are trains that run from Budapest to Bratislava, and there are trains that run from there to Vienna. A quick search on MAV shows those trains. They require a change at Bratislava and take about 1&1/2 hours longer than the normal Budapest/Vienna run. So you could do it, but it makes little sense. None of this really matters though because the OP simply asked how to get to Bratislava. It should also be noted there is a red letter memo that says international tickets can be purchased on line but must be picked up at specified places in Budapest.or other points in Hungary.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

Note that sometimes retour tickets are cheaper than one way tickets!

Therefore when buying online, type a fake return date (eg. next day to the outbound trip) and see the result.

Utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

Just completed this route last week.

Yes. Keleti station to Bratislava to Prague We purchased out tickets at the train station. You can buy them at any of the 3 stations. Agent will help you find the best seats. We purchased our 1st class tickets 2 days in advance. They were slightly less expensive than on-line but sometimes the opposite is true. Cost was about 18 Euros. (35 Euros to prague). Our car was about half full and connected to the dining car. It was a great trip and a great way to go.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,395 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest, Hungary to Bratislava, Slovekia

You can't buy this on-line. Buy a RETURN ticket which costs €17.50 on the day.