We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Topic
best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

Hi,

I'm going to stay near the Deak Ferenc ter trains station.

I read that the best way to get to szentendre is:

Take the M2 train to Batthyány tér and then take the HEV5 train to szentendre.

Now does the HEV5 train take me to a good place in szentendre? Or should I take a taxi from there?

Can I use my regular train cards with the HEV5 train? I tried to get some info, but the BKV's site isn't really friendly for foriegns.

How frequent is the HEV5 train? Does it work until late hours? How much should one way cost me?

Secondly, I want to get to the Premium outlet(http://premieroutlet.hu/?lang=en).

The address is Budaörsi út 4, 2051 Biatorbágy.

Whats the best way to get there? I looked at the bus numbers from the site but I have no idea from where to catch them.

Thanks!!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

John, a quick look on the website suggests the best way using public transport would be taking the new M4 to Kelenfold station, then boarding a bus bound for either Bicske or Etyek. These are Volanbusz lines so you would need to buy a separate ticket from the driver when you get on but your pass would cover the first leg with Metro. I had a look at the Hungarian version of the website, there may be a discrepancy in the Hungarian and English versions.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

Forgot to add, the premier outlet is nowhere near Szentendre, Szentendre is to the north of BP and the outlet is to the west. So yeah, you would need a taxi if you took the Hev to Szentendre. A long ride too :)

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

Hi TimeaRose,

I saw those buses(Volanbusz) on the site and the hours the bus passed were super limited(i.e. from 12 - 16 and you can get back only at 17) - What happens if for some reason I miss the bus back?

And I know Szentendre is far away(northern) to the outlet. I just wanted to verify that the best route to there was 2 trains.

Thanks.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
633 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

John, the best route to Szentendre is indeed the HÉV-. At Batthyány tér where you surface from M2, go to the kiosk and show them your BKV travelcard and ask for an extension ticket (kiegészítő jegy) to Szentendre. It should cost just 310 HUF for the 15km outside the BKV boundary.

HÉV frequency is minimally twice an hour, typically four times an hour in the afternoon, even more frequent in the morning rush hour. Last train back from Szentendre is 11:03 pm, so plenty of time for a leisurely dinner in one of Szentendres many restaurants.

The station is a pleasant 0.75km walk to the tourist centre. Right next to the station (if your interested in that kind of thing) is the town transit museum with a very interesting collection of early Budapest trams etc. Worthwhile popping in if your spending a long day in Szentendre.

A final transit option is to get the last boat back and see Budapest illuminated from the river.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
633 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

John, if you look at the shopping centre's bus links, not the 767 which is as limited as you state, but buses 760 -763, youl find there's a service of typically three to four buses putting you right down by the centre throughout shopping hours.

You'd have to be a very dedicated shopper or have a lot of time on your hands in Budapest to go so far out to satisfy a retail habit !

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
633 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

Edit - I of course meant "service of typically three or four buses per hour putting you right down by the shopping centre ..."

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the excellent answers.

I didn't really know about the "extension" tickets.

Will this work on the way back as well? Should I purchase two way tickets?

0.75 Km is not a lot and I think I'll walk to city center.

I may take a boat back to the city. Do you have any recommendations?

I think I'll drop the outlet.

Thanks a lot!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

John, every thing the previois post says is correct. I webt to Szentendre just last week. At the ticket window show your transit pass to the clerk and you will pay 310 to extend. You have to so the same at the ticket office in Azentendre.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
633 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

Yes, the extension tickets work both ways. Just show your period BKV ticket or travelcard to the attendant at the station kiosk and indicate you want to go to Budapest, They'll know exactly what you want as virtually every tourist will be doing the same, only locals will have season tickets for the whole journey.

Also if I remember correctly there are ticket collectors on HÉV trains from who you can buy supplementary tickets if you board at an unmanned station ... maybe someone can verify this ?

A quick google search shows several boat operators doing the Sentendre cruise, but last boat back is quite early and I think it will be a daylight arrival in Budapest in July / August (my folks did the boat trip in September last year by which time its dark at 7:30pm ). Its a bit over 2 hrs by boat, maybe someone has more experience than me.

The walk from the station is along quiet streets with nice houses and shops / cafes as to get closer in. Szentendre is a very small town ... don't even think about taxi (and they're hard to find too).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best ways to get the szentendre and to the premium outlet

The last thing you would want in Szentendre is to be in a car with all the tons of tourists aimlessly wandering around the narrow streets.