We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from airport

UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
taxi from airport

hello

does anyone know how much a taxi would cost for 4 people and 4 suitcases from budapest airport to the normafa hotel? many thanks!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi from airport

Only one taxi firm is allowed to operate in 'wait mode' at the airport - the others can pick up if pre-booked, but cannot sit waiting in the queue (but see below).

When you arrive at the airport, if you go outside there is a desk operated by 'authorised' guys. Tell them where you want to go and ask for the price: my guess would be about 8,000 forints (20 quid). Normafa as a district is right on the other side of the city from the airport - each district (keroulet or ker) has a specified price so I can't be exact.

The guy/ girl on the desk should give you a ticket with the price on it: MAKE SURE YOU SHOW THE TICKET TO THE DRIVER BEFORE YOU MOVE OFF, otherwise he will try and charge you what is on the meter.

The ticket may also give you the return fare, which will be lower: when you want to come back, ring to book (number is on the ticket) and once again make sure the guy sees the ticket before you drive off.

:Last week I paid 6,000 forints from Rosza Dom (near Normafa), allow a bit more and give a tip: there are ATMs in the arrivals hall where you can get forints.

If you are unhappy with the 'authorised' price, then call someone like BudaTaxi - their guys park outside of the airport and wait for their control to send them in - this counts as pre-booked. They will be cheaper, but there is not much in it, esprecially between four of you.

Take your binoculars, there is great birdlife in the hills around the hotel, including Black and Grey-headed woodpeckers, which are unknown in the UK, also hundreds of nuthatches.

The Bajai Csarda is an excellent restaurant, it's not far from the hotel. Baja is a town in southern Hungary whose local speciality is Halaszly (fish soup). I don't recommend it, it tastes like mud to me, but it's my wife's home town and she reckons they make a good job of it at this place. The other scoff is excellent, it's pricey by Budapest standards i.e. 15 pounds per head instead of 10.

Brussels
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from airport

You can alos try www.cititaxi.hu/repter.php?l=en or www.taxi2000.hu/

and ask for an airport transfer, but tell them you have 4 suitcases.

If you call them, you will have to give number and they call you back as far as I know confirming what kind of car they will send you.

There is also a shuttle bus service, for one way/person they charge you I think about 2300 HUF , so for you four a taxi is cheaper.

3. Re: taxi from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 12, 2009