We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

We are going to Vienna and Budapest ( in that order) in May. We usually keep some €'s at home left over from our last travels ( we are in USA) and buy more from our bank before going to Europe.

We like money in our pocket ( like a few hundred- not a bunch). Just makes me feel secure. So when we leave Vienna and going to Budapest- do you recommend ( knowing my propensity for feeling comfort with having some of the local currency in my pocket upon arrival) getting Forints in Vienna or exchanging my €'s in Budapest?

Thanks in advance for any replies or info!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

Our tourguide in Budapest and also the people we rented an apartment from wanted payment in Euros. So when we went to Vienna.and Budapest we brought Euros from the U.S. For forints we just used out ATM card and withdrew from our stateside checking account or savings account. We also payed for our apartment in Vienna with Euros. Don't know if that helps you, but we will do the same thing this summer. As once again we are paying for our apartment in Euros, so we will get Euros and Forints from our stateside bank.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

You will always get a better rate in Hungary than anywhere else. If you have a "few hundred" Euro in your pocket you will easily get from Vienna to Budapest no matter what happens or what you want. Exchange your money in Budapest. It is only about 3 hours from one to the other so something extraordinary would have to happen for you to run out of money. If you take the train you can use Euro at the snack bar and they will give you change in Forint once they cross the border.

Edited: 9:32 pm, February 14, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

Vendors who demand Euros rather Forint in Budapest are many times currency smugglers. Otherwise why would they want foreign money. If they demand Euros you should demand a discount on the price. In addition, get a receipt for any Euro transaction in case the police swoop in and arrest the dealers.

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
172 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

why can't you just order forints when you order the euros from your bank?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

You can but it can take a long rime and they are always much more expensive than in Hungary. In addition, it's not a great idea to carry a wad of cash when you travel.

Edited: 11:00 pm, February 14, 2014
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

greyhound's advice is good … if your ATM card does not gouge you with charges for foreign transactions at your home bank, by all means withdraw Forints at an ATM on arrival

if exchanging euros, do NOT exchange them at the horrible rates available in the train station but wait for one of the many bureaus on the street;select one that posts two rates for dollars (buy and sell; almost all do) and don't exchange if the difference is more than 6 forints (very few will be more than 6 forints, but some few may be much more, like the ones at the train stations and airport).

you will surely get an excellent rate in Budapest

ugyved is simply wrong, at least for apartment rentals, about why owners may insist on euros for the cost of the rental: almost all mortgages in Budapest are in Euros or Swiss Francs, not Euros, and so rental pricing is commonly in Euros and, since the funds are mostly headed to the mortgage, payment in other currencies may entail an exchange cost; i'm not aware of any other major market (or minor one for that matter) that prefers Euros to Forints in Budapest, but for apartments it's quite common

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

@Jessica C. Getting forints in the US from your US bank is very costly. While some banks have a few currencies (typically euros and GBP and one other I cant remember), they order the currencies that are less in demand through Forex or similar. Forex charges a big markup and then the bank adds on another. The result is a truly terrible rate. At the moment the forint is about 220 to the $. I'd guess that you'd get about 160 (or less) to the $ if you get them through your bank.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

Thank you all for your replies. I was afraid of a terrible rate ( which I will check on) for the Forints at the bank I go to in my hometown as it is not a common foreign currency.

Besides the ATM in Budapest, I suppose I can go to an exchange office in Vienna to trade some Euros to Forints

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

John, thank you for clarifying. I always wondered why the apartment in Budapest required Euros. In Kracow when we rented we actually paid in USD. In Israel this summer we are paying in sheckels the local currency.

10. Re: Where to "pickup" my Forints - Vienna or Budapest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 17, 2015