We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest for christmas?

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest for christmas?

I am looking at going to Budapest for Christmas and am looking for some advise.

I'll be travelling on my own and thought of staying in a hostel to meet other travellers, can you recommend any or a good area to stay in.

Can you give me an idea of the cost of drinks and meals etc?

I guess that things will be closed christmas day but will they be open christmas eve and boxing day?

Is there a chance of snow?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks very much

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest for christmas?

Just read some other posts and am a little worried that as I will be travelling home on the 26th, will i have problems getting back to the airport? I dont mind paying for a taxi, any idea of cost?

thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest for christmas?

Everything will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas day, however you shouldn't have a problem getting back to the airport on the 26th cus everything will open up that day. My wife and I travelled on that day last year with no problems.

I just posted a response to someone asking about drink prices and meal prices.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest for christmas?

I was there last Xmas and there was a lot of snow, 30cm feel on the 29th of Dec ! taxi to the airport will be around 15quid, but agree the price up front !

World
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest for christmas?

I spent last X-mas in Budapest and it was soooooo booooring. 25th and 26th the city is dead even Liszt Ferenc Ter`s restaurants/cafes were closed. You should avoid these two days or you will be really bored. Vienna same story!

UK
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest for christmas?

Hungarians do their present - giving on on the 24th and just about everywhere will be closed in the afternoon. But thing will begin to open again on Christmas day!

World
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest for christmas?

to the last post saying that everything will be open on Christmas day, this is wrong. I live here and I can tell you that this is not the case. If it is, list me the places so that won`t be bored this year again:)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest for christmas?

The big day for Magyars is the 24th, not the 25th as in th eUK.

In response to the person saying Budapest and Vienna are borinng at Christmas, where isn't ?

On those two days of the year you have to be prepared to entertain yourself: why not go for a walk in the hils around Normafa/ Erzeebet Kilato ?

World
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest for christmas?

To Roman citizen: There a large number of places where Christmas is not celebrated in the world so yes in those places. E.g. in Japan, Christmas is actually something that you do celebrate outside when you do so. And BTW, I have spent Christmas in Paris and it was much more less boring than in Budapest or Vienna

9. Re: Budapest for christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 14, 2009