We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest hostels - July 2014

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest hostels - July 2014

Hello!

I will be arriving in Budapest from Prague via train and leaving Budapest via plane to Barcelona in mid July. As it is my first time visiting Budapest, I would appreciate advise on the hostels below that is most convenient and safe for me to stay in. I am not keen on party hostels though and would prefer a location that has minimal stairs to go up the hostel location.

1. HBC Hostel

VI. Nagymezo u. 49, Budapest, Hungary

2. Maverick City Lodge

1075 Budapest, Kazinczy utca 24-26

If you have other suggestions, please let me know as well!

Thanks!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

I cannot decide which hostel to stay so I am turning to airbnb instead!

Can you help me decide which is a better area to be living in? In terms of convenience - transport, near attractions, safety?

1. Budapest, Vörösmarty Street, Budapest, Budapest 1074, Hungary

2. Raoul Wallenberg Street, Budapest, Budapest 1136, Hungary

3. Damjanich St, Budapest, Budapest 1071, Hungary

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

Hello liyun86

I like your option #1 which puts you near the Oktogon and the great ring road a great base for exploring the city also access to public transportation and sights are all easily accessible.

Plus there are countless numbers of good eateries all within a short 10-15 walk.

As to the safety question I think it can be easily answered with one word .. Yes very very safe especially in the city center you should be more than O.K walking back to your place as well as all around the area in the evening.

Does that mean there is no crime of course not ....after all it is a major city but as a general gauge Budapest is a very safe city especially as in relates to violent crimes. Most crime you will hear of are related to cons or scams or pickpocketing most have been discussed here on the forum so just do a search and you will be thoroughly educated on most that occur. With that being said there is never a substitute for common sense and always trying to beware of your general surroundings.

Best

SEBESZ

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

Hi,

#1 is in an old building with no elevator. I am just concerned about dragging my luggage up the stairs!

#2 has many cafes around the area and there's an elevator.

Both seems close to the metro and has good reviews!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

Hello liyun86

If option #2 is to your liking and has the amenities you feel fit your travel style best then absolutely go for it.

My only reason for liking option #1 over #2 is that I feel it is a little more central than option #2 which for my tastes is a little far out of the city center, but not terribly by any means.

So again if you are liking the amenities offered at your #2 option by all means go for it safety will be the same at both locations so that should not be an issue.

Best

SEBESZ

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

Hey Lyjun,

If you want to save yourself the stairs you could also check Baroque Hostel (www.baroquehostel.hu).

You definately do not have to drag your luggage to high and it is a quite cheap and comftortable little hostel.

Heroes Square is practically 5 mins away so is the subway line M1, so it is pretty easy to get anywhere from there.

Regards,

Pete

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the link!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
162 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

I found Aventura Boutique Hostel and it is voted on TA as Travellers' Choice™ 2013 Winner.

That sounds pretty good...

Maybe I should drop airbnb and stay in a hostel instead!

8. Re: Budapest hostels - July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 19, 2015