We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning hours in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Early morning hours in Budapest

We will be arriving at Keleti train station at 6 a.m. so I was hoping if someone can suggest some places open 24/7 where we can spend an hour or two or at least something opening in early hours (around 6 or 7 o'clock) because the check-in in our hotel is not until 1 p.m. . :) thank you!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

You should first check to see if the restaurant in the Keleti station is open. If so, I am certain you will get a nice breakfast and a place to relax for a while. If not, go down the main street outside of the front of the station to the Jegbufe. They open at 7am. You can get a nice snack and coffee while waiting for other places to open right there in the center of the city.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d3…

Edited: 7:06 pm, December 26, 2013
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

Where will you be staying?

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

Thank you very much, ugyved2 !

johnfarago, our hotel is near Oktogon square so we will most probably leave our luggage there first but any location will do :)

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

The Jeg Bufe is a wonderful pastry shop and bakery but it has only space for a dozen or so people at its stand-up counters and no seating at all. You would be far better served a couple of blocks away at the Gerloczy Cafe, where you can settle into a table and choose between coffee and pastry or a full breakfast. It also opens at 7:00, as do very few other places in the center. In fact, in winter relatively little opens before 9:00, which is the published opening time for Cafe Vian very near your hotel (though I have been there for earlier breakfast in the summer so it may be worth asking at the hotel desk).

For a very different sort of thing -- basically diving into sightseeing as soon as you arrive, the Central Market nominally opens at 6:00 and you can wander about watching the stalls get going and check out the hot food stalls on the mezzanine, some of which open early. While the market building opens at 6, the stalls each open as they choose, so you'll see lots if setting up activity and be among the first customers...kind if a cool way to experience it.

The Alibi Cafe not far from the Market opens at8.

A Table on Arany Janos is a bakery with a little bit of seating and excellent Franchise viennoiserie and patisserie. Across the street is a Embassy Espresso, a good espresso cafe, though nothing special. But both also open at 7.

If you are going just now during the holidays, note that many places have shortened opening hours.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

Hello Bojana G

Good suggestion above and I sort of like the idea of hitting the market as the day breaks.

Not really sure if you are looking for a full breakfast or just something light and a cup of coffee with a place to hang out with free wi-fi about 50 meters away from the Oktogon is a Starbucks on the Grand Blvd./Erzsébet körút cinnamon rolls, cookies, coffee the usual suspects.

Another place nearby you may want to consider for a more full breakfast is Ket Szerecsen. Breakfast starts at 8 am. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d7…

Best

SEBESZ

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

The Market is a good idea . Get rid of your bags and go there for an authentic Hungarian breakfast. Sit at the high tables and look down to see the market "wake up." From there you will be well fortified and ideally situated for a half day of sight seeing before you take the #1 metro back to your hotel for check-in.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

Thank you soooo much for your great advices! we had breakfast at the Market, the portions are huge so we're really stuffed (we had langos, if I remembered the name correctly) and now we're drinking coffee at Starbucks -what a good students we are :)

I have an offtopic question-do you know what's going on with the Parliamenr reconstruction? I didn't see anything on their website but when we came there we couldn't find the entrance from all of the construction site fences. Or we just haven't look for it enough :D

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

What I don't know offhand is the answer to your question -- whether it is possible to access Parlament during the current days of the construction.

What I do know is that theyv are trying desperately to complete the work before the elections in the spring, and that the floods set them back a good deal. After that, the entire area was basically closed off, including the tours, when i was there some weeks back. But tickets appear to be available for tours as of now:

jegymester.hu/eng/…Parliament-visit

So I expect that the building is accessible. The ticket office is at the Museum of Ethnography, across the square from the Parlament building, so you may ask there about access.

9. Re: Early morning hours in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 30, 2014