We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

Which book(s) would you recommend for Budapest for

1- self guided tours

2-information on major sites

3-cafe/restaurant recs

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, replies.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

Hello SouthernGal54

1 & 2 - I am partial to Duncan Smith's "Only in Budapest" and Bob Dent's "Blue Guide Budapest" also Andras Torok's "Budapest: A Critical Guide" all three informative and with Torok's being quite tongue and cheek with a unique outlook on the city and its people and actually a quite pleasant read as is Smith's.

3 - Well when it comes to guide books pertaining to restaurants I am not really sure a guide book is what you seek. The problem with them is that there information can be come quite dated in just a matter of a few months an definitely within a years time. For that information I tend to seek out the info I can get here on TA or other sources available on the net for current up to date information.

With that being said there are many books relating to Hungarian cuisine that are special and quite good. I absolutely love George Lang's "The Cuisine of Hungary" and for something a little more contemporary I find Carolyn Banfalvi's "Food Wine Budapest" to be quite good also.

Hope this helped

SEBESZ

Edited: 7:39 pm, November 09, 2013
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,976 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

We used the DK Eyewitness book which contains all three and more, translations, descriptions of food, etc. You should also consider the associated Streetwise map. It's laminated and folds to be the same dimenions as the guidebook.

Pjk

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

The information in Duncan Smith's book regarding getting to and from the sites he mentions is possibly out of date, but the background he gives to the 80-odd places to visit is excellent.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

Thank you SEBESZ. Those are some books I hadn't heard of or seen on Amazon doing a simple search for Budapest. I really appreciate you giving me those titles. I especially like books on food

I too am a fan of those Streetwise maps Pjk. Definitely am getting one.

I appreciate you guys and Romancitizen advice. Off to search the Internet- only thing on the shelves of my local Barnes and Noble bookstore was Rick Steve's!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

I would be quite cautious about Rick Steves advice on accommodation and restaurants.. Almost anything he recommends in accommodation and restaurants gets immediately swamped and the prices go up and the service comes down.

Edited: 9:28 am, November 10, 2013
Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

Well I really don't buy his books- for one thing I don't think he knows much about food !

But I found some of the books suggested in earlier posts on Amazon. So I am happy.

7. Re: Best travel guide book(s) for Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 12, 2014