We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest in February

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Budapest in February

My Boyfriend and I were planning a trip to Budapest in mid February as it is the only time both of us are able to take off work.

However, we've read conflicting reports on whether it is a good time to visit or not; Lonely Planet suggests staying clear as many public attractions close, whereas Guardian Travel suggests it as a Valentines destination.

Does anyone have any advice? We aren't fussed about the cold weather, but would like to be able to make the most of the city.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest in February

Hello youlovefox

Budapest offers a myriad of things to do and see year round from architecture, museums, music, shopping, gastronomy. Perhaps you could share with us any specific interests you may have then we could point you toward ideas that may interest and enthrall you.

Additionally all the major sights and attraction will be open and are just as spectacular at this time of year and sometimes even more striking in winter (I think of the white stone of Fisherman's bastion covered in a light sheen of fresh snow) or walking along the Danube promenade in the evening looking at the city and the wonderfully lit Chain bridge on a clear cool winter's eve.

To experience the thermal baths as snow is falling and the steam rises from the natural thermal springs around you is quite magical and romantic in itself. Visit the city park and see Vajdahunyad Castle watch the people ice skating as you enjoy a nice cuppa warm wine. Perhaps stroll along the tree lined Andrassy Avenue and marvel at the marvelous architecture. Spend a morning roaming the great market hall or as my wife calls it the Mecca of paprika definitely worth a few hours of your time. These are just a few of the wonderful experiences waiting for you.

I would suggest looking at the Things to Do section above most all will be accessible to you in February too, then come on back with any specific questions you may have.

So I say what are you waiting for go and visit

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest in February

You will find virtually everything in the city center is available year-round with the exception of the outdoor cafes. I do believe (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that the Children's RR, the T-Bar ride and perhaps the Cog RR shut down for the winter. If you are not concerned about winter weather, it is an excellent time to view the city, both inside and out, as it is not clogged with the summer rush. Also rates on many if not most things will be lower.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest in February

Hi youlovefox,

The city is "open for business" in February and can be quite nice with many locals pulling chocks for ski vacations and lower tourist traffic can make one feel they have the city to themselves.....And just to understand, what specifically does Lonely Planet say closes? We can confirm or clarify that.

Hi ugyved2,

The Children's Railway and Cogwheel Railway run year-round. Deep snows can obviously cause the lines to be shut down for a bit, but we enjoy the Children's Railway year-round and in the winter it's quite nice with snow on the ground and better views with the leaves off the trees. But it can be cold and the windows do fog up! What is the T-Bar ride?

And you're right on, the outdoor cafe's overwhelming close, however you will find some year round, especially in district XII with the gas heaters blazing.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest in February

Libido.Doesn't seem to matter what you call it in whatever language someone from somewhere else will misunderstand the description. Call it a cable and people from SF will think cable car. Call it a lift and UK thinks elevator. And if you call it a ski lift, people will start asking where's the best place to ski in the Buda Hills. Can't win.

LP can be a fun read and occasionally will have an off the main street, quirky place to visit, but on the whole not the most reliable source of info. This is.

Edited: 11:30 am, October 31, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest in February

SLIGHT correction. Libego.

6. Re: Budapest in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 02, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question