We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraser Residence Hotel, good location?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Fraser Residence Hotel, good location?

We are thinking of staying at the Fraser Residence Hotel for our first visit to Budapest. Seems like it gets great reviews, with easy metro access to the tourist sites. I would appreciate any local opinion on using this hotel as our base as we visit Budapest. Thanks.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,755 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fraser Residence Hotel, good location?

As areas outside the center go, it's fine. It's in the midst of what I believe has been described as the largest urban renewal project in Europe in recent years, the transformation of a vast swath of slums and rundown housing stock into a mix of brand new upscale buildings and restored classic architecture. Corvin Negyed -- the neighborhood around the historic Corvin movie house.

Budapest is a walkable city and I walk from Corvin Negyed into the center of the center in 25-35 minutes. But the thing you need to understand is just how walkable the city is: if you are staying in the city center, near Deak ter, say, then you can walk almost anywhere you'd care to get to in 45 minutes or less, mostly far less. So any place that advertises 'easy metro access to tourist sites' is far less accessible than most alternative options.

It's a travel style question; imagine they have taken the area by the river in East St. Louis and turned it into an upscale, young gentrified residential community (for all I know, they may have done just that since I was there 20 years ago; it would surely make good sense). Would you want to stay there on a visit to St. Louis as a newcomer? If yes (and it would be yes for many travelers) then the area around the Fraser is right for you. But if you are the sort of traveler who wants to hit your bed just steps from the sights, then it may not be.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fraser Residence Hotel, good location?

Thank you, I actually live east of East St. Louis, but I understand your analogy. In my most recent trip this summer to NYC instead of staying in midtown (Marriott East) we stayed in a brownstone in Brooklyn about about the Dekalb exit on the L line and had a ball. Even never crossed the water to Manhattan on a few days. Since my wife and I are in our 60s we tend to stroll rather than dash, and often spend a couple of extra days so we don't have to go as hard. We love Krakow and will finish our trip there but also heard great things about Budapest. So I am still undecided I like having a nicer hotel with a convenient mall when we may take it easy, but being able to step right into the action also sounds great. Any particular areas you would recommend? Thanks, Bill

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,755 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fraser Residence Hotel, good location?

From what you write, I think you'll be rather happy with the Fraser's location, but consider http://Gerloczy.hu or the Palazzo Zichy or the Castle District Hilton ... as much in terms of neighborhoods as venues. I generally don't recommend staying in the castle district ... It's pretty much an area unto itself not unlike within the walls in Krakow, but from what you describe it might well be a good fit if the budget fit yours...

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fraser Residence Hotel, good location?

Tanks I guess I need to get a map out, and do a little more research. Both hotels look good but I do want to either be near a metro or within easy walking distance to many of the tourist sites. The Christmas Market, City Market are definite destinations as is the normal tourist haunts. For a first time trip saving $50-60 a day is not as important as a nice room and location. My wife who is nearing 65 likes her creature comforts in a room.

5. Re: Fraser Residence Hotel, good location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 25, 2014