We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers to hotels

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, South...
2 posts
Save Topic
Transfers to hotels

We have a short break booked in Budapest next months. We are staying at the Normafa Hotel in the Buda Hills. We haven't booked transfers from the airport. Can anyone advise the best method of transferring. If it is taxi, how much should we expect to pay.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers to hotels

Hi,

Try the miinibus. You can book it at Freihegy, and it takes you where you want to go. Usual wait - from my experience, and that of a number of others - about 15 minutes. It's more reliable and less dicey about prices - than a taxi.

Liz

Sheffield, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers to hotels

Thankyou oddone, thats very helpful

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers to hotels

Maybe a bit more info would be useful?

1) You can purchase a return on the minibus at Ferihegy at the information desk. There is one of these in each terminal. Do you know whether you're at Terminal 1 or Terminal 2? (Buying a return is cheaper than two single fares.) Your hotel can call to book the time of the return to Ferihegy. Just show them the return, and ask them to do it for the right time of your return flight.

2) I don't know what the current price is, but I'm sure you can find it on the web somewhere. I think that lst year the single trip was 2300 HUF, and the return was 4200 HUF.

I don't know whether a taxi would be cheaper for 2 people than 2 minibus fares or not. However, a lot of people seem to have been ripped off by taxis.

OK - this may take a few minutes longer than a taxi. It is, however, safe, reliable, and will deliver you right to your hotel. There will be enough room for your baggage.

Yes - there is probably a cheaper way of doing this. (Bus, then Metro, then tram to the stop nearest your hotel.) The first time I went to Budapest, I did it that way. But - I was met by two friends who knew all about it, and were more than happy to deal with my baggage (which was pretty minimal - one medium suitcase and a carrier bag.). I know I couldn't have done it on my own. The last time, I and a friend flew in on BA to Terminal 1, went to the information desk, bought our returns, and were on our way in 15 minutes. We had more baggage that time, and the bus, Metro, tram just wouldn't have worked, even if we'd known the exact route. (The clerk there had wonderful English, incidentally. No problem on that.) We did have to pay in HUF, but we had obtained a batch of forints before we went. I would advise that you do too. The taxi won't take anything else, I'm sure.

If you're arriving at Terminal 1, I can give you exact instructions on finding the information desk . Terminsl 2 - I don't know, but it should be as simple as at Terminal 1.

Hope that's helpful?

Great Britain
Level Contributor
9 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers to hotels

Could you please post the exact instructions to the information desk for mini-bus tickets at Terminal 1. With thanks.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers to hotels

On getting off the plane, you go through immigration, where they look at and stamp your passport. Then on to luggage pick-up. Once you have your luggage, you exit to the main part of the terminal on the lower level. (You can see the street outside straight ahead of you if you're in front of one of the exits.) Now look to your right. You'll see a desk with the big international "I" for information. That's the place. You can buy your tickets for the minibus there (either single or return). You can also buy Budapest Cards, if you are going to be wanting them. I think that they gave me a map of Budapest also. Once you have all that stuff, they tell you where to wait (inside the terminal about 20 ft from the Information desk- very helpful on a cold night in November!) The minibus driver comes inside looking for his next collection of people. Tell him where you're going (It might be good to have it written down in case he doesn't recognise your pronunciation?). The baggage and the other passengers will all be loaded in, and he will deliver you to the door of your hotel. There may be some stops before yours - obviously, he takes the best route for all his passengers., so it may not be the most direct one for you. I might remark that the two clerks at the Information desk last November spoke fluent English.

As you aren't coming from the US, presumably, you probably won't be as flaked out as I was last November. (I'd been on airplanes or twiddling my thumbs at LHR for nearly 20 hrs when I got to Ferihegy at about 7 or 8 PM. ) As I don't know a word of Hungarian, the thought of trying to deal with a taxi driver at that point, and what I suspected would be that condition, simply didn't appeal.

As you've heard, there are indeed cheaper ways to do this. On the other hand, this one is reliable, and no one tries to charge you extra at the end.

I suppose that at different times of year, and at different times of day, there may be longer waits, or the information desk may be busier.

Hope this helps?

Great Britain
Level Contributor
9 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers to hotels

I am very grateful to you for all that information. It really is very helpful. We will just be travelling from England, but we arrive at night, so it is useful to know exactly what has to be done for the transfer. We are staying at the Hilton on Castle Hill.

7. Re: Transfers to hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 16, 2009