We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

Over the last week we have had much speculation as to what will occur with the new taxi pricing structures. I am in a quandary in trying to figure out how the city has gotten too and calibrated every single taxi meter in just a short week. Regardless if they are part of a fleet or an independent.

So perhaps over the next few days as people exit or arrive into the city they could post what they were charged and by which provider so that all of us here on the forum can get a better grasp of what is really being charged. In a real time format and by a bunch of independant TA members and not having to rely upon just one opinion when it comes to taxi services and pricing

For instance:

Keleti to the Sofitel using Citi Taxi = 1850 HUF (example)

Airport to Intercontinental using Fo Taxi = 6500 HUF (example)

Then we can see any dubious activities when we see

Keleti to the Sofitel using 6x6 taxi = 2350 HUF (example)

Airport to Intercontinental using independent taxi = 9600 HUF (example)

So in the future we all can offer better more concise advice as to pricing and we can all get a feel for who is offering the best value for your money. Which companies will continuously offer the best prices and service and none of us will have to rely on the opinion of one person but can refer back to actual pricing sited by many.

Since as all of us know making a law is easy enough what is however the hard part is the enforcing of such. Additionally my biggest interest is going to be in how it is enforced when a dubious charge is presented to say a police officer, who as any of us who have been on the forum have heard the stories of the police not wanting to get involved but simply left the rider/tourist at the mercy of the meter.

Auckland
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

In the interests of comparison, this was our recent experience of Keleti – hotel – Keleti fares. Our train was running late, so I did not call City Taxi until arrival. Unfortunately I could not hear them over station and construction noise, so decided to have a gamble on the taxis outside. On the platform, as expected, we had been offered fares of 10 to 15 euros to anywhere. The guys outside were offering us the upper end of that to our hotel on So utca. Finally we persuaded one to use the meter, but we did not go the anticipated route, ending up going along Josef korut, and up Ulloi ut to Kalvin ter and the hotel, bringing the fare to 2850 ft, rather more than I’d hoped for. It was at about 5.30 pm so the effect of traffic may need to be considered, and maybe at that time it was a faster route?

Our trip back to the station with City Taxi was 2100ft.

For the little difference in fares, in our dollar terms, I guess the trip to the hotel was not too bad, and he certainly got us there quickly, driving like a crazy man!

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

FWIW I'm not sure that that wasn't about as good as it gets. If he was on the meter, and the meter was set at the proper rate, then the route he took is less than a km longer than the one that Google suggests, which would be less than $2 in extra fare. But the route that Google suggests would not have been possible, I think, a month ago when I was last there, because of the construction on Kossuth Lajos utca and Petofi utca around Ferenciek tere. And even if it were possible, at that time of day everyone and his brother would be headed in that same direction to get home to Buda over the bridge. So going that way may well have been necessary, or at least may have made good sense.

So I think you got an essentially fair deal, a bit less than 10 euros and a good deal less than 15. On the other hand, it's only about a 4 km ride, so 2850 HUF seems high. The Fo Taxi tarriff calculator suggests that the fare without waiting time should be less than 2000 HUF for either route. But if you spent 10 minutes or so waiting at stop lights or stuck in traffic, that explains the difference.

Edited: 10:53 pm, September 30, 2013
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

The route in post #1 is correct. One can not go left neither on Astoria nor at Blaha Lujza square, and it is a hassle turning left between those squares, so the driver did choose the fastest and easiest route.

Aiea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
408 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

I paid 2000 huf from Carat Hotel to Keleti on Sun with City Taxi.

Edited: 4:23 am, October 01, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Carat Boutique Hotel
Carat Boutique Hotel
1,435 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

I was talking to a Fotaxi driver the other day, and he said that the new taxi fare from Budapest airport to Hotel Intercontinental is HUF 6700 in a standard traffic (no big jams and peak hours, which adds about +500 Forint on top).

He and other taxi drivers I asked average the city central destinations - from Liszt Ferenc Airport to city centre - between HUF 6500 and 7200.

Shuttle

A short talk with an Aiport Shuttle employee has revealed that the waiting time with the shuttle bus has surged from 10 min to 45 min (they usually leave within 25-30 min, but they say 45 min to tourists waiting at the airport, to be on the safe side). As the taxi fees increased, so did the popularity of the shuttle bus... I asked why they don't have more taxis, and she said they were trying to expand but it was not easy to find buses and drivers for Airport Shuttle.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

About 7000 from airport to apartment and bit cheaper for return.

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

I paid 6350 from the airport to Ferenciek tere, leaving BUD at midnight. My return early on a Monday morning was 6800, but this included a couple of minutes waiting time, ie the meter was already running when I got in the cab.

With the cost of parking at the airport having come down, sorry to say that the taxi trade has priced itself out of the market for anybody with a car. A week of parking can be had for as little as 6000.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

Since arriving we have used city taxi extensively and we estimate fares have risen in real terms around 25-30%

Most of our cabs yesterday were around 1750 when in march they were 13-1400

Cheers tony

9. Re: How Much Was Your Taxi Ride To or From

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 21, 2014