We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orangeways - Do Not Use

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Orangeways - Do Not Use

We had a horrible horrible experience with this company and have also spoken to many others who have had terrible experiences with them in the past few years.

We arrived 30 minutes early in order to find the bus station, which turned out to be a bus stop with very little indication that it was there let alone any shelter of any sort (it was well into the 30's that day so some sort of shade would have been appreciated). The other passengers all arrived 15 minutes before but the buses only arrived when they were supposed to leave. There was two buses but no indication as to which bus was going to which destination.

We asked the gentlemen putting luggage into a bus if the bus was going to Prague, he told us he thought so but to check with 'that girl' we had no idea this girl worked for orangeways until that moment, she had no uniform was just wearing jeans and ugly t-shirt and an orange scarf. We waited our turn in the heat while she flirted with a group of Australians making comments about 'Sl*t Americans' that she is sick of (She had just been screamed at by an American girl getting off the bus) she checked our documentation and wrote our names on a piece of paper along with our seat numbers, we asked her if the bus was going to Prague she said the bus was making multiple stops, so we asked again and she confirmed that our bus was going to Prague.

Three and a half hours later the girl made an announcement "Welcome to your final destination Vienna" my boyfriend and I were stunned, I optimistically said to myself well for some people this is the final destination! Then we were the only people left on the bus... The girl got back onto the bus to clean it, so we asked if the bus was continuing to Prague, she laughed and said no. We were in shock! We asked what to do, she said the only thing they could do is take us back to Budapest so we could catch the next bus to Prague a few hours later... We didn't really know what to do so stayed on the bus. Yes we could have caught a bus from Vienna to Prague but were given no help whatsoever so stayed on the bus!

She had gotten off the bus very quickly after telling us to stay on without any indication of when the bus was leaving or going to arrive back in Budapest and as we were according to her going to be catching another bus from there we wanted more information so my boyfriend got off the bus to ask her for more information. She was extremely unhelpful saying that we would make it in time (not actually telling her what time) he at this point got very upset and told her she needed to make sure her manager was there at the other end as he would like to speak to someone about the situation, she said it was not possible without any explanation as to why, just a no. My boyfriend kept at her until she said okay.

She had been on the phone on the bus several times. At other points she had been talking and laughing with some other passengers pointing at us.

I managed to use wifi at a petrol station to find out what time the next bus to Prague from Budapest was (I was doubtful that there even was one at that point) and it didn't look like we were going to make it, so I went and asked her if we were going to or not, she said yes yes sit down, I then confirmed with her that her manager would be there, she paused and said no worries.

When we arrived back in Budapest there was another bus ready and waiting at the stop, although we assumed this was out bus we weren't about to just get on another bus! So we waited while she spoke to some other passengers, whom I ended up being more help to than she was! After she had 'helped' the passenger she just walked off! She saw us waiting and just walked away! This girl who had wasted 8 hours of our day was going to just leave us in a foreign city in the middle of the night (it was 11:30pm) at a bus stop. Disgraceful. He tried to get her name so we could make a complaint about what had happened and she refused to give it, she ended up screaming at him 'I don't even care about you', which as a customer service representative is plain disgusting. My boyfriend went a little haywire at this point and I admit did behave quite badly.

I approached the version of her who was looking after the other bus and explained to him our situation, he had no idea what was going on, thankfully he was happy to let us on the bus without a ticket for that bus, which in my opinion says that this was not the first time this had happened! The blank look on his face told me that although this girl had been on the phone multiple times she had not bothered to let this bus know that we needed a seat on it and therefore had no clue whether or not we were even going to be able to get on it?!

Needless to say we were outraged by the whole situation.

Our bus ride from Budapest to Prague was not great in itself, the drivers stopped every time they saw a petrol station so they could have a cigarette making our bus over an hour late.

The buses themselves.....

The bus between Budapest and Vienna: OLD, worse than a school bus, no toilet, no wifi, no air-conditioning. All were advertised.

The bus between Budapest and Prague: Toilet (thank god), wifi for ten minutes at the start and end of journey, air-con that was barely on.

Do not use this company they are beyond a joke, we did it to save money but honestly I'd rather spend twice the as much and actually end up where I am supposed to. We would not have been as angry if the girl had simply apologised to us and made an effort to help us instead of sending us back to where we'd come from, it was the behaviour that we were upset by more than the mistake.

53 replies to this topic
Bruges, Belgium
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

If only I saw this forum before ....

I had cancelled trips to and from Prague. They are REALLY worse of all possible. Complete cheaters!

They didn't even send an SMS to prevent that the Bus that supposed to leave at 23:00 is cancelled. Yes, that is horrible service! Avoid it completely!!!

I wander anyone managed to get reimbursement from orangeways?

Bruges, Belgium
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

Hello,

I wonder if you managed to get reimbursement after all?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

We've spoken to many travellers since, and all recommend student agency!

gcek, I'm not 100% sure why you would question which company I thought I was using since I made the booking, arrived at the stop and held a ticket with the company's name on it?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

For the reasons I gave :) But it sounds as though you got the bus that came originally from Sofia which isn't the best and, due to the distances involved, is subject to delays.

Studentagency is the only bus company that should be used on this route - I think they have increased the number of daily services since last year.

Frankfurt (Oder...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

Don't travel with orange ways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they took aour money, bus was cancelled and they dont want to give it back!

Warsaw, Poland
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

I bought a ticket from Bratislava to Berlin (16.06.2014), and the bus didn't come! They went bankrupt, but you can still buy ticket on their webpage.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

I just did a search and Hungarian language forums are also full of complaints and nightmare stories about Orangeways. There's even a Facebook page for OW claimants. Why don't people use the train? Reliable, comfortable, punctual, faster and sometimes even cheaper than the bus.

Edited: 6:44 pm, June 17, 2014
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

Yes, in many instances the train is more comfortable (e.g. night trains), and sometimes cheaper until the quota of discounted tickets has sold out per train.

The new generation of buses (not Orangeways) is very good, though, and provides stiff competition to trains which cannot always offer things like free wi-fi - I know that within Hungary some expresses do - or in-seat movies and little things like that. They are often faster as well on some routes. But it is a matter of personal preference. Between Vienna and Budapest I would always try to get the train, unless the discounted tickets had gone. It's a different matter going the other way as it is so much cheaper through MÁV. Vienna to Brno/Prague, though, would always be bus (studentagency), especially with kids and/or luggage, because the buses used on that route beat the trains hands down for now, until the new Czech railjets are introduced, but even then I would probably think twice as I like the route the bus takes.

Wroclaw, Poland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

Hello, from my experience is a very unserious company, twice it happened to me that the bus had over 6 hours delay and nobody even call to say anything. Secondly they they left us on the street in Budapest at 3 AM without having any chances to catch someting else. AVOID THIS COMAPNY!!!

Girona, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

@orangeways WTF!!!! NEVER TRAVEL WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!! We waited more than one hour at midnight and at the end they cancelled the bus without say anything!

Reply to: Orangeways - Do Not Use
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted