We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of visiting Budapest for 4-5 days this autumn, maybe combining it with another city (flying into one city, flying out of another). I see Vienna is the most obvious and popular 2nd choice, with great train links. Any other suggestions? Köszönöm.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

bratislava is not far away

or even a few days at lake balaton

personally i would just spend the whole time in budapest

cheers tony

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

Hello Gwerinwr

With only 4-5 days I would suggest you focus your time on Budapest IMHO. With so few days you will just barely have enough time to cover the main highlights in a decent and somewhat relaxed fashion.

I am afraid splitting such little time between 2 great cities will really not allow you to do justice to either and would take away from the time you could be spending sight seeing and enjoying yourself and replace it with time spent on traveling.

I understand the idea of wanting to see and do as much as you can when on holiday so it is easily understandable to want to fit all that you can into one. But sometimes in doing so, you never really get to enjoy it and when you get back home you find yourself wanting to have experienced more since it all feels like a blur rather than really focusing on one spot and trying to take it in to its fullest.

Just my thoughts enjoy your travels

SEBESZ

Edited: 2:58 pm, August 18, 2013
Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
633 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

You DO need an absolute minimum of four days to feel you've experienced Budapest, its not a city of great museums or galleries, on limited time I'd restrict my choice to the National Gallery in the castle. But its a city for walking in, a veritable 19th century architectural museum, enjoying the wonderful setting, the terrific food, the bars, the modest prices ...

If you have extra time then Vienna is the obvious and complimentary pairing. The greater twin city, with older buildings, more history, premier league medieval cathedral, grand palaces, stunning baroque churches, a birthplace of art nouveau / secession, some of the finest museums and galleries to be found anywhere in the world. But even a full week would not be enough for Vienna, and its expensive.

Certainly Vienna is the only major city you can get to easily, quickly and cheaply by train from Budapest.

For me Budapest is the prettier, friendlier more relaxing place ... you could always do trips out, Szentendre + Esztergom are worthwhile, Eger too as a day trip.

So my advice is as first time visitors, unless you have a couple of weeks to spare, stick to Budapest - you won't regret it.

Otherwise it will be a bit like a whirlwind coach tour of Europe (Today Paris, tomorrow Rome) !

Edited: 3:39 pm, August 18, 2013
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

Great! Thank you all, much appreciated. Budapest first and foremost it is then! :-)

edinburgh
Level Contributor
18 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

any more than three days in Budapest and you will be exhausted- city is vast ,and oppressive in the heat

best balance it with a few days in Prague- first class rail 6 hours approx. 50 euros

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

The OP is going in the Autumn....why waste a day of a 5 day trip travelling ?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

@RomanC very good point indeed ...... plus I do not think the OP will find the artic breeze's and chill of Prague in mid August to be vastly different to Budapest anyway

Additionally what is more fun when you are exhausted than to get on a 6-8 hour train ride

Edited: 2:05 pm, August 21, 2013
8. Re: Two centre holiday - Budapest and...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 23, 2014