We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appreciation Gifts

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
185 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Appreciation Gifts

We will be returning to Budapest in October. Our friends have invited us to take a visit to their hometown and spend time with them and their parents at a family cottage to roast a pig, enjoy wine and each other's company. We would like to give the parents a gift for having us and would like some ideas as to what we should bring to show our appreciation.

Thank you,

Todd

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Appreciation Gifts

Very few adult Hungarians don't have an appreciation of palinka, so the local Milwaukee artisanal spirits may well be a good idea; mass market cookies and crackers that one can't get outside the USA -- Milano cookies, Ritz crackers, Oreos, Wheat Thins ... and of course more arcane sorts of things. Get an assortment so they can figure out which they like and you can bring a bigger supply next time. Really great local chocolate chip cookies or snickerdoodles or brownies. Candy bars are pretty global these days and less regional.

I have brought friends things that are said to have originated in Central Europe and no longer can be found there (Pastrami, for instance).

What I bring back for American friends tends to be things like Chocolitza (chocolate covered mangalica lard).

Mentioned in this post
Pastrami
Pastrami
129 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
12. Re: Appreciation Gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, August 07, 2013
Edited: 9:05 pm, August 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Appreciation Gifts

Hello again Todd

Your idea of local or Wisconsin related items is a good one.

Since Wisco is not really known for its spirits but more so for its great beers that may be an issue in transporting weight wise and all.

But it got me to thinking about that we visited a friend's family in Germany 4 years ago and his dad was a big fisherman so I brought him an assortment of custom Muskie and Pike lures from the Northwoods he absolutely loved them. (again this is only good if their is a fisherman in the house so it goes back to hearing what your friend thinks their parents will like.)

Also I agree an assortment of goodies that is always a safe bet since everyone likes to eat. You mentioned a pig roast maybe a great marinade or a nice jar of local fruit or Cranberry chutney to enjoy at the pig roast. As mentioned chocolates crackers cookies and don't forget some great Wisconsin dried cranberries and fruits. Maybe even a great bottle of Wisconsin dandelion wine depending on if they are drinkers or not.

Its amazing what you will see as being a big hit my colleagues daughter an 11 year old looks forward to a big bag of taco flavored Doritos every time I come to Budapest... who would've thought .

Enjoy your travels and the pig roast.

SEBESZ

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Germany
Germany
Europe
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
185 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Appreciation Gifts

Hello, It's been a while. I have heard back from our friends in Budapest. They said the father would like some American whiskey. Is it safe to assume that he is unable to purchase most, if any?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Appreciation Gifts

I think so. I've not seen any, although there are probably specialty places that carry some - probably at outrageous prices. I assume he's talking about bourbon.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Appreciation Gifts

I suggest a bottle of "Maker's Mark" or something similar. It makes an excellent presentation.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Appreciation Gifts

Actually, Maker's Mark, and many American bourbons are relatively widely available, though perhaps not within most people's reach, and perhaps at a higher cost than in the USA; here's a shop in Budapest where you might be able to find most things in stock if you'd rather not travel with them; you may want to compare pricing also:

whiskynet.hu/en/united-states-of-america/…

Artisanal American whiskies would be rather harder to find

18. Re: Appreciation Gifts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 14, 2014