We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

48 hr family metro pass still available ?

APO germany
Level Contributor
76 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
48 hr family metro pass still available ?

My family ( 3 kids,2 adults) will be spending 2 full days in budapest in July. I did some research and came across some information on a 48hr family metro pass, but searching more on here read some posts about it possibly being discontinued or only 24 hrs now? Can anyone confirm the 48 hr pass is still available? If so, do you validate it like the single tickets, or does it become valid the moment you purchase it. Trying to decide if the metro or hop on hop off is our best option. The family pass would be much cheaper and we mostly like to explore on foot, but maybe if this family pass isn't available the hoho would be ur best bet, thoughts?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 48 hr family metro pass still available ?

Yes, it seems in group form, only the 24h version exists:

http://www.bkv.hu/en/travel_cards

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 48 hr family metro pass still available ?

The cost of two 24 hr group cards would be 6600 forints. (Approx $30US). While I haven't looked up the cost of 5 HOHO bus tickets, I'm sure that this is far cheaper than the HOHO bus alternative.

You can purchase both 24 hr tickets at the same time at one of the Metro stations.

1) I would write the following on a file card to hand to the ticket window:

1 24 hour group travel card followed by the date and time you want to start it. (day, hr)

1 24 hour group travel card followed by the second date and time you want to start that one.

2) Both of these will then be stamped with the time validity.

Reason: It should avoid any language problems and automatic stamping of dates and times you didn't mean. (I typically get several travel cards on my trips to Hungary, as I take multi-day side trips. I figure out what ones I need and get the lot in a one-stop process.)

Once the card has been stamped, you do not need to do anything more about validation. Just show it to any ticket inspectors who ask for it.

I find the travel cards not only cheaper but more convenient for me. I may not want to follow the route of the HOHO bus, but see things is a very different order. In addition, the buses, trams and Metro are much more frequent than the HOHO buses.

Does that answer some of your questions?

APO germany
Level Contributor
76 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 48 hr family metro pass still available ?

Absolutely , thank you. Is it possible to skip the ticket window and purchase a ticket in a machine that has an English option, the insert in a " time stamp" machine, or is a ticket window the only option?

4. Re: 48 hr family metro pass still available ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 23, 2014