We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Character accommodations in Budapest

Vancouver
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Character accommodations in Budapest

We're looking to spend 3 nights in Budapest at the beginning of May, but I'm struggling to find a hotel/hostel/apartment with some character. We're really looking for is some classic Hungarian style. I had a friend of mine who stayed in a hotel which used to be an old church...something like that would be interesting (my friend of course cannot remember what hotel this is!), but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,099 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Character accommodations in Budapest

We stayed at the GERLÓCZY on our first trip to Budapest and on two subsequent trips and wouldn't stay anywhere else now.

http://www.gerloczy.hu/

Pjk

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Character accommodations in Budapest

apartment max at karoly kert has character oozing out of it

google it

tony

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Character accommodations in Budapest

Hello Ppppp_7

May is a long way away I commend you on your early start to researching accommodations.

If it helps you at all the remains of the 13th - 15th century St Nicholas church with a Dominican monastery have been incorporated into the interior of the Hilton hotel in the castle district. The Dominican courtyard of the hotel often will host artistic and musical open-air performances. (How's that for character)

Some other hotels in Budapest with long histories and varying amounts of character you may want to consider are the Gellert, Astoria, The Corinthia Grande Royal and FS Gresham Palace, City Hotel Mátyás and the New York Palace.

All are easily searched out here on TA but with so much time until next May it will give you plenty of time to really look them over.

Enjoy your planning

SEBESZ

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Character accommodations in Budapest

What do you mean by character? Some thing with history or architecture or something owned by former circus performers with a tiger skin on the lobby wall?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Character accommodations in Budapest

Thanks for the tips! Also I meant early July notay so not so much time haha! I will check out these suggestions. Thanks again :)

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Character accommodations in Budapest

The Gerloczy would be my first choice for combination of location and style and atmosphere (assuming the Gresham is too pricey for you, as it is for me; if that's wrong, then the Gresham would be my first choice). For quirkiness and style and character you may want to add the Bohem Art, the Butterflyhome Hotel, the Casa de la Musica Hostel, the brodyhouse ...

7. Re: Character accommodations in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 16, 2014