We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent-a-car in Budapest???

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rent-a-car in Budapest???

My friend and I (both females) will be in Budapest, Prague and Bratislava in September this year and our trip is mostly on the lines of a "road trip". We want to get a car on hire and explore the countryside around Budapest and Prague (travel between countries will be via rail).

Are there any reliable car rentals who we can get in touch with?

What are the license requirements? We have Indian driving licenses so anything additional required?

Any tips/ points that we should be knowing about?

Thanks guys!! :)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent-a-car in Budapest???

The most reliable that I know of is Fox. Do not use Budget, bunch of thieving scumbags. There are cheaper local alternatives to Fox, but I am not sure how reliable their support is outside of Budapest.

Some stuff about driving in Hungary:

If you drive on a motorway, the car must have a matrica, kind of toll payment. A hire car should have this but check before you set off, as the fines are automatic - they use number plate recognition to catch you. The toll can be paid at fuel stations if the car does not have it.

Stick to the speed limits, Hungarians may not but you should.

When you enter a town or village, the town/ village sign is the speed limit marker, 50kmh from memory.

Outside of built up areas you must have your headlights on at all times (bizarre rule)

You must have the vehicle's documents with you when driving - the hire car should give you these in a handy wallet - and your driving licence.

A new law is about to come into effect, I believe, that drivers must do just that - drive: no smoking, using mobile phone, eating sandwich etc.

The Hungarian drink/ drive limit is zero (they mean it). That law almost certainly applies to the Czech Republic and Slovakia, as it was standard for Iron Curtain countries.

Sounds complicated, but it isn't, mostly stuff you would do at home.

Your local Huyngarian consulate/ embassy should be abe to help re: driving licence validity.

Edited: 3:00 am, June 03, 2013
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent-a-car in Budapest???

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply! Think I'll ask the embassy beforehand. Will check out Fox as well.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent-a-car in Budapest???

one other point to add to RC's fantastic advice

parking is difficult in Budapest,out in the country less so

something to bear in mind if booking accomadation

cheers tony

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent-a-car in Budapest???

Thanks Tony, while in Budapest we will be staying in either a hostel or hotel whichever has better parking so I'm hoping we don't run into any trouble there! I was going through the other forums on driving and yes, most of them mentioned about parking probs.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent-a-car in Budapest???

Parking in Prague is difficult/expensive/impossible and the vast majority of places that you might want to see are easily accessible by public transport.

6. Re: Rent-a-car in Budapest???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 06, 2014