We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to/from the airport

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rayleigh, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to/from the airport

Hello all

We are going to Budapest for 4 days in August. I have read various ways of getting public transport from the airport to the metro system, but what would you advise is the best? I have read that taxis can be dodgy for foreigners and expensive, and instructions of which buses and trains to get are slightly confusing!

Also I will be going on my own to Kecskemet on one day to their airshow and have looked into pre-booking tickets. Again Ive found this very confusing - one place says that a new peak time system renders it impossible for me to pre-book train tickets? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My other option is to simply buy tickets at the time - but how easy is this? Do ticket machines have an English as well as Hungarian option? I will need to be getting the 5:50am train so it's going to be a long day!

Many thanks for any help

Regards

Tom

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to/from the airport

This is a frequently asked question ... check out the Top Question on the subject at the top right of the forum home page and especially:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-c165968/Budap…

What is best is entirely a matter of taste ... I use a specific driver I know I can communicate with directly, the official taxi company is reliable and very inexpensive as airport taxis go (about 22 euros each way for up to 4 passengers). The independent drivers at the airport are variable and pushy but by and large honest (even if their prices do vary considerably; don't pay more than 25 euros going to the city center), but there is no reason to use the independent guys, just go to the official company's kiosk (Fo Taxi), pay them and get assigned a taxi to the city. Still others, in my view slightly perversely in light of the relatively low cost of the taxis, enjoy acclimating themselves to the public transit system on the way in from the airport...

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to/from the airport

Hi could you tell me if its possible to walk from main train station to center of Budapest ?? or if not is there a taxi company there or is it just independent taxis ?? Pauline

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
248 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to/from the airport

Pauline, what train station, what destination, what time ?

I always use public transport, it's fast, safe and cheap.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to/from the airport

It's a straight walk down Rakoczi ut, about 20 minutes. Or a metro ride, three stops to Deak ter. Or a bus ride straight down Rakoczi. No official taxi company. Just the predatory independents.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to/from the airport

Tom for a single traveller

almost certainly the airport shuttle is your best value for money get me to the hotel option

I normally travel in a group so for us we use a specific transfer company who is well trusted

alternatively use the official airport taxi company FO taxi

under no circumstance be lured by the sirens call of touts inside the terminal

you will soon be parted from large amounts of folding

pauline there are 3 big train stations in budapest

Keleti pályaudvar

Nyugati pályaudvar

Déli pályaudvar

keleti is considered to be the "main" one for international travellers

if i were arriving by train I would book city taxi,the operators speak English and they are straight goers fare wise

http://www.citytaxi.hu/index.php?lang=en

cheers Tony

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to/from the airport

Thanks what system is it for tickets do you pay on board ? Or do, you have to purchase the tickets first ???

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to/from the airport

Keleti is the station train arriving from Bratslavia !!! And thank you all so much !!!

Rayleigh, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport to/from the airport

Thanks peeps.

May I also just ask this: going to Kecskemet I noticed from here elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/xslvzs/uf that the train from Budapest-Nyugati to Kecskemet says 'seat reservation compulsory'. Does this mean I cannot buy on the day? When I go to buy, will the ticket machines at the station have an English option to allow me to buy on the day?

This is worrying me now!

Many thanks

Tom

9. Re: Transport to/from the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, July 12, 2013
Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport to/from the airport

It's been about a year since I was in Hungary, but here's how I remember it working:

For many trains, you buy a ticket for the route, and then an additional seat ticket. Sometimes those seat tickets are optional (i.e. you don't need a seat reservation to ride the train, but you can be sure you'll have a place to sit if you buy the reservation), and other times you're required to both reserve a seat and buy a ticket for the route. "Seat reservation compulsory" just means you have to have both tickets for that specific train.