We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

I am staying at the Buddha Bar Hotel on Vaci Utca, but keep reading that this area is not the best part of Budapest. I have no choice to change hotels, but do I just use it as a thoroughfare to get to the hidden gems? I like good quality restaurants that are authentic but not michelin star rated! Also like non UK/US shops. Is this location good enough for walking to the sights/spas? Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Hello Tallulah,

As to location of the Buddha Bar it is actually quite marvelously situated for staying in Budapest you can easily walk or take public transportation to anywhere you may want to go. Now what the hoteliers have done to the inside of that marvelous old building that's another story for another time. Wherever you read that it is not in the best area Budapest disregard that..

Now onto some restaurant ideas here are some options that may fit your parameters. All are easily searched out on TA so you can see what others have to say about each. The only suggestion I will give is try to avoid eating on Vaci most restaurants are tourist driven and there offerings reflect it.

Borsso - Hungarian cuisine. Casual yet elegant and unpretentious in all manner and feel. With a very serious chef at work and with that being said, I think it should be on everyone's short list when visiting Budapest.

Café Bouchon a nice warm, welcoming, friendly place with a strong Hungarian influenced menu with a solid kitchen, moderate prices, great wine list, and a very knowledgeable and caring staff.

Klazz great location very good atmosphere and is a contemporary interpretation of Hungarian cuisine and can be hard to get into, since they seem to be always booked and do not take reservations.(This being the only negative)

Fausto's Osteria is perhaps my favorite mix of setting and food of the top end restaurants in the city. (Not as good or as costly as its counterpart Fausto's but still a solid choice)

Rosenstein for Hungarian one of my absolute favorites in the city maybe a little far out from your local but trust me it is worth the trip. The service is solid and the kitchen is top notch in my book. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d692…

I am sure others will chime in with more suggestions but this should get you started looking and your mouth watering at least.

Enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Sebesz, thank you so much for all the foodie recommendations, which will make my trip so much easier. I don't always like to plan our evening meals but sometimes get caught out! It's great to have a list of restaurants for choice. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the interior of Buddha bar - do you disapprove of the oriental decor? I don't know anything about the original building!

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

tallulah_p you are in a fab location

we passed the buddha bar hotel a lot and if there were an English equivalent it would be something like covent garden or soho

to get to the spas it is a good walk so probably better to get a metro

cafe alibi is fairly close to you and that aint a bad place to start your day

be careful on vaci utca though there are some real tourist traps on that street,cafe pertu and galilieo spring to mind

you are also close to gerpard es urhajo which is very nice if a little slow

and the famous/infamous comme chez soi

lots of good places to eat near you but read the reviews carefully before you enter

good luck

Tony

Edited: 4:18 pm, May 09, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Hello Tallulah,

IMO unfortunately the once majestic and beautiful Klotild palace (a.k.a. Budda Bar hotel) that was designed by the same people who had there hands in the original design of the New York Palace and the Academy of Music and Luxus Áruház. Was re-done with a theme that not only lends no intrinsic value to the property let alone any stylish attributes that enhance or elevate the regal beauty of a building that still has a life in it.

The interior is done with massive amounts of dark reds and poor lighting limiting ones ability to admire and enjoy the high vaulted ceilings and magnificent interior that once was. Not to mention that the oriental furnishings used are not even of the best quality but more of what you would find in a Las Vegas theme hotel (Think Paris hotel on the strip)

In a nutshell they have taken a Grande Dame of Budapest architecture and turned her into a dragon lady

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Thanks for your input Tony. I don't mind walking! And the Italian place sounds good - as per reviews on here.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Hello tallulah,

The Budda-Bar hotel will make a great base camp for your stay here. Like mentioned above, it's in the very heart of the city and close (10ish minute walk) to many sights (river front, chain bridge, St. Stephens basilica, Great Synagogue) and countless good bars and restaurants.

Some authentic and nearby, but not Michelin-starred places you may want to explore (not knowing your budget) include (and all are searchable here):

1. Comme Chez Soi - a gem of a restaurant, my favorite, best foie gras in the city, reservations are essential as there are <8 tables. Owners will treat you with great care and you can order off the menu if necessary. <5 minute walk.

2. Taverna Dionysos - a relaxed atmosphere with a small outdoor seating area along river. Authentic solid Greek food. Chef and staff have been around since mid 90's. A regular for us on the Pest side. <10 minute walk.

3 & 4. For Hungarian - seek out Klassz and Rosenstein mentioned above. Klassz is nice in the sense that it serves clean "grandmother" wholesome food with an extensive wine list (owned by the Budapest wine society). Sits on Andrassy & close to Liszt ferenc ter (fun place with lots of bars). 25ish minute walk. Rosenstein in my opinion is the second best Hungarian kitchen in the city. Wonderful food across the menu with service to boot. I'd cab it here. (Best kitchen = mother-in-laws) ;)

5. Great Market Hall - if you're here on a weekday and want to grab a fun lunch, head here. It's a traditional food market with crafts and prepared food. Head for the top floor and grab some sausages or Langos (awesome - fried dough served with your choice of cheese/onion/garlic/sour cream - on top. Beers as well. May be a fun experience, but it's not fine dining. ;)

Budapest is full of great kitchens - a long list not included here on these posts......Have a lot of fun - and be sure to get back to us on your stay - especially on the Budda-Bar Hotel. I quite like it even though it's not my style.....

Have fun!

Jeremy

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Jeremy, thank you for your comprehensive reply! I am confident now that I will be eating some great food! I promise to update you all on my return!

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Hello.

We are from th UK and are arrived yesterday. We are over the other side of the Danube in the Catle District.

My only advice is, if you find it ok, don't worry about the reviews. Each to their own.

We visited a restaurant yesterday everyone raved about on here. I wouldn't let my dog dine there.

Relax and enjoy yourself.

Edited: 1:20 am, May 12, 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

Keep away from the bar below the Dougles at the Utca street. According to one of my friend's report from Germany, they blow up the prices at least 10 times like a robber. I am not sure which bar is suitable, but the only thing we know is should NOT GO to this bar I mentioned.

Edited: 5:48 am, September 14, 2013
10. Re: Vaci Utca, Buddha Bar etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, September 14, 2013