We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Zagreb via Gyékényes by morning train

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
jakarta
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budapest to Zagreb via Gyékényes by morning train

I've noticed there is only one "direct" train from Budapest to Zagreb (train number 204 - Agram. This train departs Budapest Deli at 1.25pm and arrives Zagreb Glavni Kol. at 7.45pm. It runs daily.

I then checked Hungarian Railways at mav-start.hu, and found out that there are over 20 trains daily to Gyékényes. I was wondering if it'd be easy to get on any of the trains from Budapest to Gyékényes, then cross the Hungarian/Croatian border at Koprivnica, Croatia.

Btw, My final destination is Zagreb.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Bws

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Zagreb via Gyékényes by morning train

You probably read something wrong. There are no 20 trains a day to Debrecen, and thats our 2nd biggest city. There is one daily train to Gyékényes, and that is Agram. The other trains, if you check the map, go via many other towns and include some changes (Kaposvár, Szekszárd,Szombathely,etc), you might as well go via Berlin to Gyékényes.

jakarta
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Zagreb via Gyékényes by morning train

Hi. I forgot to add that I'm thinking of catching the 7:25am train from Budapest Deli to Gyékényes (with one change at Nagykanizsa). Arriving at Gyékényes at 11:50am.

How do I go from Gyékényes station to Koprivnica station in Croatia? Can I just walk the Hungarian/Croatian border? Do I take the bus or mini van?

Finally, I'm catching a train from Koprivnica to Zagreb Glavni Kol.

Appreciate your help...

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Zagreb via Gyékényes by morning train

No, the croatian border is an external EU border, you can only cross it at a few locations, and at Gyékényes, only rail crossing is permitted. The nearest you can use is Berzence, about 25 kms away.

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Zagreb via Gyékényes by morning train

>>>How do I go from Gyékényes station to Koprivnica station in Croatia? <<<

That's a big problem. There used to be a few short cross-border trains there, but with Croatian Railways cutting off many routes those were canceled, so nowadays the only way to cross the border is by road crossing and again it's a bit problematic since there is no public bus (at least from what we know) in that region

5. Re: Budapest to Zagreb via Gyékényes by morning train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 02, 2014