We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfer and Budapest Bar areas

UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfer and Budapest Bar areas

Hi,

Travelling to Budapest in 2 weeks time and need some help on the following.

Best, quickest and most cost efficient way from the airport to central Budapest for 4 adults.

I read that the airport bus is 3,500 Fl each, whilst a taxi is about 4,500 Fl total. If this is the case it would seem better to get the taxi and share the cost. Can anyone advise.

Also can anyone confirm which are the best areas for all the bars. Liszt Ferenc square, Raday St, Andrassy St, Dohanny St, Kiraly St.

Are there any others?

Many Thanks

Paul

Cornwall
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfer and Budapest Bar areas

Using public transport is pretty good alternative to minibus or taxi if you check the map and plan where you're going.

The airport minibus is about 23 Euros each I think. Most advice on taxis is that they can be a rip off but if you negotiate the price before setting out then maybe OK.

For travel in the city most tourists seem to buy the Budapest Card - 48hr (5200HUF) or 72hr (6500HUF) - it includes free admission to some museums, and apparently discounts at some restaurants. Personally, I think you'd be hard pushed to benefit from that since a lot of museums are free (and you may not be planning on them anyway) and there's no way of knowing til you buy the card and get the info, which restaurants give a discount.

Instead, we got a 7 day Travelcard for 3400HUF (this is NOT the tourist Budapest card) and this covers all public transport. When you come thru customs at Ferihegy there is an information desk - the girl there told us we'd find the No. 200 bus (blue bus) outside which we could get to Kobanya-Kispest which is the start of the metro line 3 (blue). Single ride bus tickets from machine outside the airport door because you can't buy a 7 day travel card at the airport. Went outside, bought a single ticket from the machine for 185HUF (I already had some small denomination HUF notes and she changed them to coins for me but I think the machine accepts notes actually and it also gives change). Got the bus to K-K which was about a 25 minute ride. Don't forget to 'validate' your ticket in the bus.... there are small orange machines on the vertical handrails in the bus... just poke the ticket into it and it dates/times it I think. You'll know when to get off the bus because there's a thingy in the bus telling you the name of the next stop and anyway it terminates at K-K. When you go into the metro station you have to find the small kiosk at the top of the escalators but TO THE RIGHT and buy your 7 day travel card for 3400HUF. Don't forget to write your name on it. After that, all you need to do is have it on you AT ALL TIMES because inspectors checks are quite frequent. You don't need to show it getting on and off buses or trams as the driver just drives and doesn't ask to see them. And you don't have to validate it in the machines either. After you have that you can use it for everything including your return journey all the way back to the airport. The best investment ever. It made our total transport costs 3585HUF each for everything for a 4/5 day stay. And I also don't think the bus/metro would take a lot longer than the minibus or taxi... maybe even quicker if traffic is heavy possibly. It took us an hour to get from the airport to our hotel by the Parliament building including changing metro lines and walking 10 mins at the end.

Pyongyang, North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfer and Budapest Bar areas

you listed the best places. By the way both end of Petőfi Bridge is a must for party goers. These are open air places, like a small sziget festival www.sziget.hu

Budapest
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfer and Budapest Bar areas

you have right info about airport bus & taxi, if you are 4, you should pay for 2 taxis and ask for the fixed airport - city rate (it is about 4000 HUF - depending on the taxi company. i suggest to take budapest taxi, city taxi or tele5 taxi & ask for them at aiport info desk)

bars you will find a lot in the 5th, 6th, 7th districts, almost all of the are in the inner circle of the ring (körút) - all within 20min distance on foot. Your tips for Liszt Ferenc square, etc... are best choices. You should also visit Zöld Pardon (green pardon) & Tűzraktár. Don't forget to drink some "pálinka" at these places.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfer and Budapest Bar areas

Avoid the public transport with large bags...it's a pain in the rear. Take the airport minibus, it's 2300 fts ($11.50) each way per person (that's what I paid 2 days ago) and with 4 people you'll probably get a bus to yourself so you'll wait 5 minutes til the next driver comes and he'll drive you at breakneck speeds directly to your hotel. you can arrange a pickup to take you back toy our hotel also.

you can also go to charleshotel.hu or hotelcharles.hu, can't remamber which, and use their airport transfer service. It might be cheaper.

5. Re: Airport Transfer and Budapest Bar areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 16, 2009