We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Recently on a trip to Budapest I came across two very nice bottles of wine a friend was kind enough to gift me and I am wondering where I may find some additional bottles on my upcoming trip in May. Alas I have searched the web with very little luck, perhaps one of the many wine connoisseurs on the forum may know..

They are an Árvay Hétfürtös Tokaji Aszú 6 Puttonyos 1999 and a Gróf Degenfeld Tokaji Natureszencia 2000.

I have contacted my friend and he says he does not actually remember where he purchased them so he was no help other than to suggest possibly contacting Bortarsasag which I have done to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and if not some major suggestions as to wines sharing the same character.

Thank you in advance

SEBESZ

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/arvay+janos+tokay+hetfurtos+harslevelu+late+harvest

wine-searcher.com/wine-237772-1999-grof-dege…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

RC

Thanks a bunch very much appreciated went to the sight but looks unavailable http://grofdegenfeld.com/en/borok

Any other ideas maybe?

Edited: 2:00 pm, April 17, 2013
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,224 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Contact the manufacturers - Grof Degenfeld were winemakers before WW2 I believe, they returned after the fall of communism and started again. They built a small hotel in the main square in Tokaji, my wife and I stayed there soon after it opened. They should be able to supply a list of stockists.

The other wine may be available from these guys

http://www.borvarazs.hu/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Hey RC

Thanks again yes perhaps I should send a personal email to inquirer not a bad thought.

Additionally an interesting notation as to the history of the winery .. was not aware of that.

Thanks

SEBESZ

Hungary
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Hi,

Both are well known, famous names in Tokaj wine region.

Degenfeld main retail partner is Bortársaság. http://www.bortarsasag.hu/en/

They have several shops in Budapest.

For availabilities of Árvay wines check their site: http://www.arvay.eu/boraink-en.html

Other suggested winemaker in Tokaj (maybe the biggest name):

Szepsy (also available at Bortársaság)

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

arvay's wines are sometimes available at DiVino, but are not distributed by Bortarsasag; the wides range of DSegenfeld I have seen outside their vineyard was at a shop on Kinizsi in the IXth, Monarchia

But these are two extraordinary wines that either are likely no longer routinely stocked (the 1999) or never were (the naturesszencia). You will only really be able to find them through the winemakers. Degenfeld is a large operation with a wonderful estate hotel as well as a large shop and should be easy to contact.

At Arvay, Janos Arvay doesn't speak very much English (he is one of the truly great winemakers in the Tokaj area; like Szersy, after 1990 he bagan as a winemaker for one of the foreign-purchased major wineries -- in his cas Disznoko -- and was responsible for some of the very great early vintages there; and, again like Szepsy, he was able to branch out on his own and contribute to restoring local ownership of world-class vineyards. The 1999 you have tasted was a product of that effort and was a partnership with an American-Hungarian investor and now winemaker Christian Sauska. The partnership broke up somewhat unpleasantly and Arvay is now on his own, continuing top make remarkable wines. His daughter Angelika, is among the rising young women winemakers in Tokaj and speaks fluent English. I would suggest writing to her:

angelikaarvay@gmail.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Thanks szola & jf

I think I will proceed with directly contacting each winery and their representative. Plus I will stop at the above places suggested to take a look.

Murphy's law Huh! Not being a big wine person I find some wines that I really like and now I cant have them LOL

Any suggestions as to wines or vintners who create wines that share similar characteristics as the two I mention.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions

SEBESZ

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

interestingly every wine I have ever tasted in Hungary has been very good to excellent

but bizarrely you cannot buy any central European wines in most UK supermarkets

the best wine i ever tasted was a Greek Viognier at a Michelin starred restaurant

weird eh?

tony

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Tony

Yes Yes that is quite interesting in substance, so are you saying/suggesting that a Greek Viognier would be similar to these wines in character?

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Search maybe some locals or wine experts know?

Not at al lseb,but i meant it as an example of how regions not in the big 6 can produce some fantastic wines

we drank a lot of hungarian riesling and sauvignon blanc recently,all of it top notch and none more than 6000 fts a bottle

:-)

tony