We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

I read that citizens of EU countries who are 65 or older can ride for free on Budapest buses and on the Metro. Do U.S. citizens get the same "deal," or do they have to pay for their tickets? (Traveling to Budapest in early May 2013.)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

If the US is not a member state of the EU, then I'm affraid you will have to pay.

http://bkv.hu/en/faq/faq

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

Rawlee is quite correct. Free public transport in Budapest applies only to citizens of the EU. (I think that there are a couple of other exceptions relating to Hungarian dual citizenship, but couldn't find them this time on the BKV web site.) Compared to most of the US, public transportation in Budapest is cheap. I personally mainly use travel cards (cf. 'Tickets for Tourists' on the BKV site.) Also note that the shuttle bus from the airport is not covered by travel cards or BKV tickets.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

also phillygirl please not the metro escalators are very steep and fast

my elderly relations struggled with them last year

cheers Tony

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

There are 24,48 and 72 hour travel cards available not sure about the first two but 72h one costs 7900 Ft may be available at your hotel

Regards

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

Fulham 1987. What you are referring to are Budapest Cards, not the travel cards. The Budapest Cards offer some reductions on attractions in addition to the transportation. They are much more expensive than the travel cards.

24 hr travel card =1650 HUF: 72 hr TC =4150 HUF: 7-day TC = 4950 HUF

There is no 48 hr travel card.

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

Sorry for false info we were never informed that there was a travel card cheaper

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

Thanks for letting me know about the Budapest Metro. I will need to wear comfortable shoes!

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

Thanks everyone for the info about Budapest transportation for seniors. My husband and I are "young, sixty-something" seniors, and we are trying to get in as much travel as we can now - while we are energetic and healthy. We are certainly looking forward to our May trip to Eastern Europe!

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

phillygirl46

before the cacophony starts,hungary is in central europe :-)

like you I was brought up being told that former communist states were eastern Europe

but apparently its central Europe

have a great trip

cheers tony

10. Re: Budapest Metro for U.S. Seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2014