We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report March 2013

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report March 2013

Here's a trip report from my 3 nights in budapest with my mum- hope someone finds in useful!!

We arrived in budapest on Saturday night and as suggested went straight to the fotaxi kiosk (it's just outside the terminal building) and got a taxi for about €20 straight to our hotel! We stayed on the buda side in the hotel regnum residence. I was afraid it might be a little bit remote but I needn't have been worried! Though a little bit out of the way it was just a 5 minute walk to the batthany ter metro stop from where we could easily get to wherever we wanted to go! The hotel is also just a 2 minute walk to the Danube and to an amazing view across the river to the parliament!

After we checked in it was bout 8 pm so we decided to just go for a quick walk to suss out the area! We ended up walking along the Danube all the way to and across the chain bridge! Great start to the trip!

On Sunday morning we headed to the pest side on the metro to the pest side and joined the budapest free walking tour which started at 10.30am. The tour lasted about 2 and half hours and gave us a good introduction to the history and main sights in budapest! We ended the tour up at the castle district at about 1pm. After grabbing some goulash to warm ourselves up we spent the next couple hours wandering around the castle hill area! Great views and beautiful buildings! We did the royal palace, Matthias church and fisherman s bastion ( my favourite!!) Sunday evening we got the metro to Elizabeth square to look for somewhere to eat! We ended up at the Astoria hotel and ate at mirrors restaurant. Very enjoyable meal in very elegant surroundings! After dinner we walked back down to the river to get on a legenda river cruise for 8.15 which I had booked online before we left for budapest! Very enjoyable way to spend an hour and it was nice to sit down and relax after all our walking earlier in the day!!

Monday Morning we went in the red hop on hop off bus tour. We got on at the first stop and stayed on until we got to the citadel gellert hill area where we got out to explore for an hr or 2! Really enjoyed it up there, again more amazing views of the city! We went into the citadel also and paid a couple of euro to get into a bunker in the citadel which was used during ww11. Very interesting but sometimes very disturbing photo display of life in budapest during the war.

After exploring the citadel we walked down the hill and to the rock church. For a small entrance fee we got an audio tour of the church which lasted about 40 minutes, very interesting and peaceful! Also great views from there of the green bridge (can't remember it's name!!) back over the river. We then walked along the Danube and climbed up to see the statue of st gellert.......to be honest I wouldn't do that again if I were to go back......area is a bit run down with rubbish and graffiti on the walls.....u would be better off taking a photo of him from Elizabeth bridge.....better view from there too! We walked across Elizabeth bridge and to cafe gerbaud where we had coffee and cake and then to st Stephens basilica for a look around which was really beautiful and worthwhile taking a trip inside. Monday night we went to schezenyi baths using the yellow metro line!! Great way to spend a few hours!! Sitting outside in the outdoor pool with snow pouring down!!:-)

Tuesday was our last day in budapest so we tried to fit in as much as we could!! First up a tour of the parliament at 9.15, then we hopped on the yellow line of the hop on hop off bus. ( our tickets were valid for 48 hours!) we jumped off at central market hall for an hr to buy some souveniers and to grab something to eat! Then we got back on the red line again as we wanted to use the bus to get to heroes square. We took some photos there but didn't stay long as it was freezing and ground and park were covered in snow!! Then we caught yellow metro to opera where we were very lucky to get there just in time for a 2pm English guided tour!! Would really recommend doing this, our guide was great and her tour was very informative!

By the time all that was done it was time to head back to hotel to collect our bags and head back to the airport!!!

Really enjoyed our trip to budapest!! There is so much to do and see and there is more than enough to keep u busy for a lot longer than the 3 days we were there for!!

The metro was a great way to get around the city and very easy to follow! Everything is very well marked! Mum was over 65 so could travel for free, I got a little book of 10 tickets which did for our whole trip. I would recommend getting one of these as its easier than buying separate single everytime u want to use the metro! Also maybe we were just lucky but the trains were so frequent!! I am pretty positive we never had to wait longer than 1 minute for a train!!

We felt very safe walking around the city both during the day and at night and found any locals we came across to be very helpful.

Hope this trip report helps some of u plan ur trip as I used this forum a lot when planning our break!! Thank you to all the regular posters who provide us tourists with such great advice and information about their great city!!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report March 2013

thank you so much, really helpful and gives you an idea of what to do and how you enjoyed it.

the only issue you missed out , is the weather.. how did you find it as you walked so much.. cold, snowy rainy???? what type of influence did it have?

thanks so much

ciao

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report March 2013

Hi!

On Monday and tuesday morning weather was dry but cold (think it was about zero degrees!) Tuesday evening and weds it was snowy!! The weather didn't stop us from doing anything we had planned to do........as long as you are dressed appropriately don't think the cold weather will be a problem! We had gloves, scarf, warm coat and gloves on us and were fine! And you will be doing so much walking that will help to keep you warm anyway!! plus the parliament, chain bridge etc looked beautiful covered in white!! I think the weather is unseasonably cold at this time of yr in budapest tho.....so hopefully by time ur trip comes around it may be a bit warmer!! Our taxi driver told us on way to the airport that the temperature is meant to rise considerably in the next few days!!

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report March 2013

I read on budapest.com/travel/…public_transport.en.html that citizens from EU countries who are over 65 get to use the Budapest Metro for free. What about US citizens who are over 65?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report March 2013

Maybe a typo, but there were only 2 world wars. I assume you meant "WW II", not "WW 11".

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report March 2013

Ya obviously I meant World War II !!

Manchester
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report March 2013

Heyy, great report!! I am going this Saturday until Tuesday too! How did you find the prices of everything? I have changed £300 (96,000 Forint) for both me and my partener, do you think this would be okay to last us? We will take our bank cards just in case though anyway! Also how was Budapest Airport?

Natasha

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report March 2013

NO, free public transport for people over 65 applies only to EU citizens. Not US citizens.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report March 2013

Well we had changed €400 before we left (about 120,000 forint I think) and that covered us for our 3 nights. That was spent on taxis to and from airport, lunch, dinner and plenty of coffee and cake stops each day, souvenir shopping for ourselves and family, entrance to attractions/museums and my metro tickets! Only thing it didn't include were our tickets for the Danube cruise and parliament tour as I had paid for these online before we left.... Cruise was about €15/20 each I think and parliament tour was only a few euros each!

Airport was fine, easy to navigate! Like I said in report if u are looking for the fotaxi stand it is just outside the airport building. Before we flew back home we had something to eat at airport after going through security....there's a food court upstairs with about 4 or 5 different choices of places to eat!

Enjoy ur trip!! Would like to be heading back!!:-)

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report March 2013

Thanks so much for the info!

10. Re: Trip report March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014