We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days next week - winter highlights and what to avoid

leeds
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
2 days next week - winter highlights and what to avoid

My husband and I arrive next monday evening for 3 nights so have 2 full days in Budapest. What should we not miss considering its winter? we are staying at corinthia hotel. We are both intersted in seeing Memento park, but he does not want to come to szechenyi baths - would it be strange for me to go on my own? margaret island look intersting but is it nice in winter or are there better things to do. Its unusual for us not to have our daughter so wanted to visit sone ruin bars or are they very touristy? . I also thought fishermans Bastion looked good. ideas and advice to make most of a winter visit.

Scotland
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 days next week - winter highlights and what to avoid

George B is, of course, correct. As noted in Bob Dent's excellent book, Every Statue Tells A Story, "Anonymus" is indeed a man, based on the un-named 12th Century chronicler of King Bela lll's exploits. The statue was unveiled in 1903.

Just in case you were interested.

Have a lovely time in Bp and perhaps you'll return for a longer visit next time.

Pecs, Hungary
Level Contributor
87 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 days next week - winter highlights and what to avoid

You have to know that those places where you can eat "foezelek" are not fancy restaurants. Usually self service and/or you have to queue and ask from the staff. Do not expect to much English knowledge :-)

You can find some reviews on such a restaurant on TripAdvisor. Serch for "fozelekfalo". Other option is Fozelekfalo Etelbar (address: Petofi Sandor utca 1.). This one is close to the Elizabeth Bridge (the modern, white bridge) on the Pest side. There is an M3(blue) underground station (called "Ferenciek tere").

I just called this restaurant. They do not have a menu card (there is one on the internet but only in Hungarian), but the name of the dishes are written on a plate also in English (at least that is what they told). They may also speak some English.

There is also plenty of meat for your husband :-)

Just in case... some words:

borso-pea

kelkaposzta-savoy cabbage

lencse-lentil

bab-bean

zöldbab-string bean

soska-sorrel

spenot-spinach

tök-marrow

krumpli or burgonya-potato

paradicsomos kaposzta- (approx.) cabbage with tomato

There is one that is called "finom" it is a mixture of (at least) carrot and pea

Pecs, Hungary
Level Contributor
87 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2 days next week - winter highlights and what to avoid

I have asked my son. He is also not familiar with ruin bars :-) He was in an expensive one, but forgot its name :-) My son :-))

But there is a lot. I have found this page for you:

http://ruinpubs.com/

There is a list of bars to avoid on the homepage of the US Embassy:

"American citizens are strongly urged to avoid these clubs and restaurants due to multiple reports of victimization received by the Embassy:

This list is not complete, so please use common sense and take note when/where one or more local women approach you. Please note that most of these places are located in Budapest's fifth district, on/near the main tourist street, the Váci utca.

Night Club - II district, Bimbó utca close to Margit körút

Night Club - VI district, Andrássy út and Eötvös utca corner

Restaurant/Bar - V district, Bécsi utca and Hajós utca corner

Night Club - V district, Október 6. utca (between Zrínyi and József Attila utca)

Night Club - VII district, Dohány utca and Szövetség utca corner

Night Club - VIII district, Kiss József utca at Rákóczi út

Night Club (accessible by outside elevator) - V district, Váci utca at Régi Posta utca "

If you need more advice, visit:

hungary.usembassy.gov/tourist_advisory.html

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 2 days next week - winter highlights and what to avoid

We visited one of the ruin pubs late one afternoon. I don't recall the name but it wasn't very far from the Great Synagog. Along with being able to buy drinks, there must have been two dozen craft vendors selling leather goods, candles, small journals and date books, jam, etc. I don't know if the other ones do this, but it would be worth a stop to have a drink and shop for a souvenir.

Pjk

Edited: 10:51 am, February 05, 2013
15. Re: 2 days next week - winter highlights and what to avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 07, 2014