We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungary for Christmas

Paris, France
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hungary for Christmas

Hello all,

I always like to go away for a few days at the start of December and I am considering where to try this year. I know this is a long time away but was wondering what Hungary was like during Christmas ie weather, what things were open and also the general atmosphere. Be glad to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungary for Christmas

I second that question...also around New Year's

Hungary
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungary for Christmas

Hello,

In December we have cold (average temperature is about 0 Celsius) weather and sometimes snow. But it is high season in (domestic) tourism because many Hungarians making holiday this time of year (so do I). They used to go in the mountains or a wellness spa. In December we used to pick a wellness place. There are many of them. (Heviz, Bogacs, Zalakaros, Bukfurdo, Harkany etc.) We are soaking ourself in the open air thermal bath pools and the snow is falling on our heads. In Bogacs we could do it at night with drinking Champagne in the pool. I enjoyed it a lot. Of course bathing is not the only thing what we can do these places (actually I'm not a big fan of bathing except for these occasions). We do excursions to discover the region. These wellness spas are located generally in beautiful surroundings and many of them are in a wine region. So we try the local wine and eat good food with it. All in all we enjoy life.

Budapest is a different story. If you would like to spend your time in a big, vibrant city BP is your place. I don't want to write about the possibilities in Budapest because there are loads of information about this city on the internet. Almost everything is open (except for the open air bars) with the exception of Christmas time.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungary for Christmas

So what is generally closed in Budapest? And, when does "Christmas time" start and end? Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Hungary
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungary for Christmas

Hello,

Actually they are not so close to Budapest. The closest is Eger (128 km). I suggest you to choose this town.

Eger: beautiful town with approx. 60.000 inhabitants. The town is famous for its wine and castle. Spa. Wine cellars in Szépasszonyvölgy (Valley of Beautiful Women).

Spas in the proximate of Eger: Miskolc-tapolca (cave bath check http://www.barlangfurdo.hu), Egerszalók/Demjén (unique hotspring-under major development, but open), Bogacs (not too touristy)

Other places: Aggtelek Cave (UNESCO World Heritage Site) Hollókő traditional village with castle (UNESCO World Heritage Site), Szilvásvárad (Szalajka Valley, Natural Attractions) Tokaj (most famous wine town in Hungary), Mátra and Bükk Mountains-lots of marked hiking trails.

More information:

www.egeronline.com or

http://www.egercity.hu/nyitolap.eger?lang=eng

Pictures about the region:

www.kezdet.hu/cgi-bin/kezdet.cgi…

Christmas: Shops, bars etc. close 24th December afternoon. Some of them open next day but the majority doesn't open till 27th December.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Eger
Eger
Heves County, Hungary
Szalajka Valley
Szalajka Valley
56 Reviews
Szilvasvarad, Hungary
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Hungary
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungary for Christmas

Oh sorry, I've just realised that your question was "So what is generally closed in Budapest?" and not "what is close to Budapest." It was a misunderstanding.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
6. Re: Hungary for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 16, 2009