We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning itinerary please

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with planning itinerary please

I just found out I'll be able to join my husband on a business trip to Prague in April. YAY! I've read a lot on these forums and have decided to add Vienna and Budapest to our first trip to this part of the world. We have 10 nights once business is done in Prague. (spending 6 nights)

Thinking so far is spending 3-4 nights each in Vienna and Budapest...but not sure how to spend rest of the time. We don't like to rush, but also don't know when we'd get back to this area...we love seeing historic architecture, walking a lot, great food is a plus.....

Any suggestions for added overnight stays or day trips?

Oh - we'll be travelling by train...or bus...

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning itinerary please

I am assuming you will do any day trips from Praha on your own i.e. all of the 10 days will be spent in Bpest or Vienna.

I have only driven from Bpest to Prague, but I believe the train takes about 6.5 hours.Train from Bpest to Vienna is about 3.25 hours. You need to factor that into your schedule.

A day trip to Salzburg from Vienna and a day trip to Eger or Pecs from

Budapest seems favourite.

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning itinerary please

Romancitizen - thanks for the suggestions.

Yes - planning to do day trips from Prague - Cesky K. for one.

Will be on my own for most of our time there. Hoping to find a cooking class or walking tour that would be good as a single.

Do you have a recommendation for a walking tour/guide?

thanks!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning itinerary please

Yes, the train between Prague and Budapest does take most of a day. You should factor that into your calculations. If you are flying in and out of Prague, figure on staying the night before your flight back in Prague.

Basically, you have a triangle here. Prague, Vienna, Budapest. The longest leg is Budapest-Prague.

One thing you might consider is going to Vienna first, then taking a train to Sopron (about 1 hr 30 min), staying overnight in Sopron after touring the central city, then getting up early the next morning to take a train to Pecs Nagykadnize (sp). One change there, but you should get into Pecs a bit after noon. Spend the rest of that day and part of the next seeing Pecs, staying overnight there as well. Take a late afternoon train to Budapest and stay there until the trip back to Prague. I guess that could be done in the opposite order as well.

A day trip to either Pecs or Soprom in possible, but it will be an awfully long day.

seattle, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning itinerary please

thanks oddone - I was just looking at Sopron as a stop between Vienna/Budapest - happy to see vote for it.

We're planning to fly into Prague and out of Budapest..

So far I think we're renting a car to drive from Prague to Brno (seeing villages and castles on the way and probably 2 nights), Brno-Vienna-Sopron-Budapest

5. Re: Help with planning itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 29, 2014