We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Topic
Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

Hello, as it is a brand new festival (strictly for meat eaters), and the organizers have not bothered to translate the program into English, here you go

budapesteventsguide.com/program-of-the-first…

Jan 25-27 2013

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

I have visited Budapest frequently and I can say that love this city, it's a great place to be! But, with all due respect to tradition, this festival is bad news. This tradition is also in my country, the pig slaughter still takes place in villages, despite vets' efforts to implement "anesthesia" previous the stabbing. Killing the pig this way is cruel, painful to the animal, therefore such a display is horrific.I am actually very surprised that such festival even exists. Tradition can be praised and kept without these vicious acts.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

lianaaurora001

Yes I so agree what an atrocious posting I am offended and shocked at it. I do so hope they close this posting down.

Wanted to say the same thing but glad it was said by a true Central European

Edited: 5:58 pm, January 28, 2013
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,812 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

I think I'll stick to trying to hit the wine festivsal in 2014.

Pjk

Scotland
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

Last year, one of our Bp friends was kind enough to invite us to a pig slaughter at his parents' place which, by all accounts, is pretty rural.

Now, we don't mind rural and we respect other countries' traditions but unfortunately we had an un-get-out-able engagement that day!

I can only guess what we missed.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

Hello Liana,

similarly to western practices, each pig was anesthetized at the festival according to the law. It was in 2010 when the law for animal protection in the EU (including Hungary) was revised. No pig can be killed without anaesthesia. Pigs picked for slaughter must be from a healthy lot and hygienic rules must be kept to avoid any contamination. This animal magazine is quoting the law:

…allatvilag.net/2010/…

As I see from the reviews and video reports, the first Butcher festival attracted very few people (I assume not only because of the poor organization and marketing, but also because it sort of forces meat eaters to face the inconvenient truth).

Mangalitsa Festival

The next pig festival, the Feb 8-10 2013 Mangalica Festival is quite popular on the other hand. Info in Hungarian http://www.mangalicafesztival.hu/

info in English with the program: budapesteventsguide.com/ai1ec_event/mangalit…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,973 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

" ...it sort of forces meat eaters to face the inconvenient truth "

Well put, TBO!

If I were in town during this festival, I would definitely go. I don't like hunting or bloodshed but I DO like eating meat. I would go to pay homage to the people whose hard work brought meat to my table and to the animal whose life is being sacrificed so that I can indulge my carnivorous nature.

Too many people think that pork chops come from little plastic trays at the supermarket. I prefer to face the truth and assume some responsibility.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

Thank you for your reply. One pf the adds of the festival promoted this particular event to be " For the ones which are really strong hearted", and I know what this mean, hence, my reaction. I hope the law you mentioned it is indeed respected, and not only under the public eye, during a festival, but by the all animal keepers.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

I respect your opinion, and it is indeed a way to see it. On the other hand, few of us are growing under a crystal bowl, and neither we are some kind of hypocrites. We DO know where our meat comes from, unless you are a 4 year old. And if you want to teach a 4 year old this lesson (or someone at any age, for that matter), I can tell that slaughter of an animal without anesthesia it is a very traumatic event, which I guarantee you will not forget easily. No matter how "strong hearted" you are and how willing to face the inconvenient truth. This is opinion is based on personal experience and the research I did on how it affects the animals, but, nevertheless, everyone is entitled to form their own opinions on it. Greetings from Romania.

budapest
Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

I am an animal rights activist and my opinion is that everybody who consumes meat, especially children, should see in their own eyes what it means in reality to have meat products. The understanding of what use of animals really mean has been also studied significantly in northern europe, and surprisingly large amount of people basically assumes that the meat comes in a neatly packed from supermarkets - not from live animals.

Although the EU regulation is very strict (compared with e.g. US or even more so to Asia/Middle East) for production animals, fact is that even with slaughter houses are anything than fool proof (there has been several cases documented even in Scandinavia - which has some of the highest level of control - of pigs boiled when still alive etc as the neither anesthezia nor slaughter itself was not succesful.)

In terms of the new regulation from 2010, yes Hungary together with most of the Northern Europe is very aligned - however, major part of southern europe (together with France and Germany) have not yet implemented the regulation and under EU commission review reuters.com/article/2013/01/28/us-eu-pigs-we…

Personally i cannot say anything about using meat as such (as this is natural part of wild live as well), however, educating people what eating meat really means both in terms of energy consumption and environmental impact (it is one of the biggest if not the biggest CO2 producer) as well as its impact on living animals.

Personally i think people should be shown more what happens to animals than the other way round.

10. Re: Budapest Butcher Festival - 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 09, 2014