We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

Hi. I'd really appreciate any help. I've read the reviews on restaurants but still not sure where to go. We'll be staying near the Chain Bridge and I'd like to surprise my husband with a good restaurant for his special birthday but it is a Monday. He's not keen on"fancy food" but any suggestions for a special, romantic meal on a Monday? Thank you.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

comme chez soi?

substantial portions of home cooked italian food

tony

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

Hi mandyh,

Your husband sounds a bit like me. I too am not keen on fancy places. I am attuned more to good food and good service. With that said - I'll mention a couple of spots....both of which are ranked here on TripAdvisor.

1. Comme Chez Soi like Tony mentions above. Quaint restaurant (think 8 tables) close to chain bridge that is ran by the owner. He treats his guests like royalty and the kitchen is superb. From the heavenly foie gras, to fresh seafood it is my family's favorite - by far. http://www.commechezsoi.hu/index2.html

2. Arany Kaviar - while the interior is fancy (white table clothes and such), the food is excellent and the experience is special. Again - longtime here - over 2 decades. My wife and I visit here for some of our special occasions. We visit for the food (and I don't eat caviar), service, and setting. All great. Then after dinner, walk up into the castle district (about 200 meters away) and enjoy the romantic night time views of this splendid city. www.aranykaviar.hu/Restaurant%20Budapest/

Those remain tops on my list for special occasions. Let us know if you're after something specific (food) or anything alternative.

Jo etvagyat,

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
Comme Chez Soi
Comme Chez Soi
4,653 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,221 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

The Gresham Kavehaz with a window table?

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

Thank you for the suggestions and the links. I'll have a look at the menus online.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

Depending on your budget i can also recommend Costes or Onyx. Their Michelin star is well deserved. Also Tigris Étterem is great, gotta love their Foie Gras specialties.

Mentioned in this post
Costes
Costes
927 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

Hi. Thanks. I did look at Costes and Onyx but think he'll think they're too fancy. He won't eat foie gras or veal or any type of game

Mentioned in this post
Costes
Costes
927 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

I'd just like to say thank you all again for your suggestions. We had a wonderful evening at Comme chez Soi. The food was superb and when they realised that it was my husband's birthday they treated him like royalty. I don't think I've ever had such great service. So thank you for a great recommendation

8. Re: Restaurant for special birthday on a monday night!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 24, 2014