We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April visit, change of Apt/District

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
April visit, change of Apt/District

Hi,

I m visiting in April and I might have to change my booking.

The Apt i ve booked is in 06. Terézváros but isnt available for different date, so I might have to get 1 in 05. Belváros - Lipótváros

Never been to Budapest, but i convinced myself that Terezvaros was the best part of town for me.

Would it make a huge difference to go to Belvaros?

thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: April visit, change of Apt/District

Terezvaros (district VI) is next to Lipotvaros (district V). Both of them are parts of the historical city center of Pest.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April visit, change of Apt/District

Budapest is a manageable city and eminently walkable, at least on the Pest side, and you will be fine if you are anywhere in District 5 and in large swaths of Districts 6, 7, 8, 9. There are greater disparities within these districts than, on average, between them.

Like many cities around rivers, Budapest grew as a series of concentric circles (actually, since it built separately on each side of the river, semi-circles). On the Pest side, the innermost semicircle marked the city limits in the 19th Century, and that was the area now in District 5 -- the Belvaros (centered around the old Franciscan Church at Ferenciek tree) and just north of it Lipotvaros.

It was delimited by a ring road, now referred to as the Kiskorut or little ring road, and on the other side of that things were built that were not permitted within the city center, like the Great Synagogue. Districts 6 and 7 were on that side.

As the city grew, a second ringroad (and after that a third and a fourth) delimited the city's boundary. That second ringroad -- the Nagykorut or Big/Great Ringroad -- changes name as it passes from one district to the next, but it is obvious on a map as a continuous arc. Ferenc Korut, Jozsef Korut, Erzsebet Korut, Terez Korut ... If you stay anywhere within the arc formed by that ring road and the river -- about 2.5 miles north-south and 1.5 miles east-west -- you're in the city center and can move around to most things that you would want to get to. Choose based on what appeals to you about the apartments, not which district they are in when they are within the arc of the ring road.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April visit, change of Apt/District

thanks Sont

and thaks johnfarago for the great exlanation.. that helps a lot, considering that our plan is to visit the city on foot in 4 days!

4. Re: April visit, change of Apt/District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 13, 2014