We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Hi,

I posted this question in the Prague forum but did not get a definitive answer so was advised to post here instead. I am traveling with a 2 year old kid. From the English version of the website mav-start.hu under the drop down list for Reduction, it states that child under 6 is free.

I am looking to go with the overnight train (sleeper) and would like to have us all in a single cabin (2 adults + 1 kid). Question here is, do I have to buy and pay for my kid or is this free?

When I put in my kid's details, I am charged the same regular (adult) price.

Or should I leave out her details totally and purchase tickets for 2 adults and just turn up at the station with all 3 of us? Will we be refused entry?

Thanks in advance.

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

In most Central European countries, a young child travels for free if not occupying a separate seat or sleeping car/couchette berth.

So, in your case, you would want to book a Double sleeping car compartment. Each adult would have a berth, and your child would share a berth with one of you and travel for free. No travel document (ticket) is required for the child (you must have proof of age, though). Just book for two adults and turn up with the child.

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, Poland

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

The reason why I told the OP to post this question here was that when I did a dummy booking it charged full price for the child, even though I entered a date of birth in 2011 for the third passenger.

On the Hungarian on-line booking site it says to enter all passengers and a discount/reduction would be added as necessary, but I am well aware that the Hungarian on-line system has its drawbacks.

I always just turn up without buying a ticket for my children and nobody has ever asked about it, but I have not tried it on a night train yet.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your clarification. We will do just that, i.e. book a double sleeping berth for 2 adults. Will also heed GCEK's advice earlier on and put the same sex for both me and my wife so that we will not get separated. That said, I think there is a box where I can choose to click 'own compartment'.

Perhaps I should also do the same when booking bus tickets in central Europe, i.e. get 2 seats rather than buy a ticket for my kid as well!

P.S. I see that there are 2 night trains, i.e. 1 departs at 20:05 and 1 at 20:07. Is there 2 trains leaving every night on this route? If not, which should I choose?

Edited: 10:10 am, January 09, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

There is only one direct night train at 20:05. Disregard the other one completely as it involves getting a local train one stop to Vac and picking up the direct train there. It is purely a timetabling anomaly.

For a user-friendly timetable see www.idos.cz (English bottom right). There is an option for direct trains only.

Other booking platforms that you might use may have been better programmed than the Hungarian site, so see what the price is with a child - if it comes up with full price ignore it. Sometimes it is just a nominal €1 or so on buses.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

On mav-start.hu you will be in the same compartment, even if you put one male and one female, as long as you tick the 'own compartment' box. If you don't tick it, it gives you one male berth in a male compartment and one berth in a female compartment, ie separate.

I worked this out yesterday after being emailed by a traveller who booked 2 people in 2-berth sleepers and been given berths 42 and 52. It took me a while to work out what he hadn't done!

Edited: 11:24 am, January 09, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Thank you all for your assistance. Appreciated.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Hi again,

Can anyone please advise when tickets for Budapest - Prague will be available for sale at mav-start.hu? I am looking to go on around 5th May but am somewhat confused by the system.

When I first did a trial run and key in the details (using 1 male and 1 female in 2 sleeper compartment), I was able to reach the payment stage for the train leaving at 20:05 and was even assigned the seat numbers of 42 and 46. Not sure if this is actually in the same compartment since i have already checked the 'own compartment' box?

However, when I tried to do another booking, this time putting in 2 males, the following line appeared "No offer available for the journey with these conditions. For the list of available offers click here".

I did not book the first time round as the website seems somewhat complicated. Does anyone know when exactly is the earliest date that I can make my booking online?

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Probably 60 days ahead for departures from Prague, but worth checking 90 days out.

42 and 46 are in the same compartment - perfectly logical, 44 is the middle bunk which is not used when the compartment is in 2-berth mode, and 41/43/45 are in the adjacent compartment next door.

Make sure you select 'own compartment' when booking 2 beds together in the same 2-bed sleeper, otherwise you'll get two separate berths.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Thank you for your reply and explanation on seating arrangement. I am not familiar with train travel so this info is really helpful.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague - ticket for 2 year old?

Hi again,

I am trying to book the overnight train for 7 May from Budapest to Prague.

However, it seems that the 2 sleeper compartment is not available.

I can only get couchette. I have read online that this is a 6 person bunk bed accommodation?

I have my reservations as we are traveling with a 2.5 year old and I am not sure if it will suit us.

Will the sleeper tickets suddenly be available again? Or will we be better off taking the day train instead?