We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge
Level Contributor
225 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

We spent wonderful time in Budapest, but every meal we ate (apart from lovely desserts) the so called Hungarian food is very salty for our taste, we were wondering it is really much salty or just us who thought so (4 women from Britain, Chinese origin).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

We didn't find it too salty at all, I suppose it is very much a case of personal preferences.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

It depends on what you are comparing it with. A lot of food in the US and UK has no salt, so if you want it, you must add it. In Hungary, food tyupically has salt already added to the general taste.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,098 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

www2tan,

I'm planning a trip for next year and since I love to eat, I've been wondering about the salt too. Could you give some names of restaurants where you dined?

Years ago, my daughters went to Spain (without me) and they found the food really salty. That worried me but when I went, I never had that problem. I think I chose my restaurants more carefully whereas they were eating at tour group restaurants.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,991 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

If I were going to generalize, I might say "Spicey," but I didn't find the food in Budapest particularly salty.

Pjk

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

I lived in Budapest for four years, and have returned to visit numerous times since then, and didn't find the food salty. Tasty - yes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

@Gigis-mum

Try a funky little restaurant called 'Resto Club Otkert' on the street that leads up to the Basilica from the area near the Chain bridge, if you read my review of my recent trip there are more details there, we found the food there to rival any up-market restaurant in the UK and it was far more reasonably priced, rather bizarrely we loved the chicken breasts coated in cornflakes served on a bed of jasmine rice with a chili and lime sauce, and the white chocolate gateau served with maple syrup and orange sauce topped with cream is too delicious for words. The restaurant often has live musicians and doubles up as a bar/night club, you can't miss it for it has the word 'Budapest' written in shrubbery outside the restaurant.

Not too salty at all though salt and pepper are on the table for those who prefer more.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,098 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

monroeessex,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a quick read of your trip report too. Sounds like you had a great time.

I'm thinking more of traditional or modern Hungarian cuisine. So far, I have on my list places like Borkonyha Wine Kitchen, Horgasztanya Vendeglo, Onyx, Kiskakukk Étterem and Borbíróság Étterem. Maybe Új Sipos Halászkert (oh-oh, I just read a review on TA in which the diner commented about too much salt in the fish soup).

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Sometimes I go to the Hungarian deli near my house and get some food to go. I've noticed that it's rich in spicy flavours (of course, lots of garlic and paprika which I like) and definitely more salty than my cooking at home.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

I have never noticed too much salt in Hungarian food,

although high end restaurants the world over do tend to add way too much sodium for my taste buds

maybe its the flavourings?

tony

Cambridge
Level Contributor
225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

Gigis_mum, we ate at our hotel - Estilo Fashion, they had only offered 4 Hungarian's main course, we ordered all 4, none of us could finish 1/5 of the portion, we were sooo hungry but it was salty to us. We talked to the manager, he said we should had the meal with Hungarian wine, but we don't drink unfortunately. We then entered 2 more restaurants (couldn't remember the names), we only ordered Hungarian food but all too salty. Not spicy, I myself came from Southeast Asia, we have very spicy food at home, this is salty, not spicy for me. Lastly we tasted food at the Christmas Market, only the creamy Hungary chicken and mushroom is edible (for us), but the side dish - cabbage pickles are extremely salty. We finally gave up and went to non-Hungarian food. We really enjoyed our trip (the spa especially) and plan to go back again, but we wonder was it us or in general the Hungarian food is much salty, if it is the latter, we shall go for self-catering option in the future.

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hungarian food is sooo salty?!

hi there

im chinese, and when i was there last month our food was fine

going again tomo... will look out for the food at the xmas market... and comment on it when im back