We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bombay
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel

A buddy and I are visiting Budapest mid-June. Arriving by train from Salzburg for a three day trip after which we plan to take a flight to Brussels. My questions are:

1. Are the main tourist attractions concentrated in one area?

2. How far is the main railway station from the tourist attractions?

3. Any recommendations for a good four star hotel near the tourist attractions?

Thank you in advance for your help.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,486 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hotel

I would have to disagree about the Adina apartments' location, if they are the ones that come up on google as being in the XIIIth. I personally love the XIIIth district nd spend a good bit of time there, but they are far more out of the way than the Zichy, and proximity to public transit is far worse...for a three day stay the Millenium or the Zichy would be far better...and now we are adding turnips to the banana/apple melange

Edited: 5:51 am, December 22, 2012
Bombay
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hotel

Yes SBA, I looked at the Adina Apartments, but as Johnfargo said, the location goes against it. I liked the location of the Millennium Court. But it is not a full fledged hotel and they serve only a continental breakfast.

So I looked for hotels close by and pulled a rabbit out of the hat - the Mercur Budapest City Center. Looks pretty good on the web and the only review I found, quite old, looked good. So I have gone ahead and canceled the Millennium Court booking and have booked the Mercur.

Has anyone stayed there? Johnfargo, do you know this hotel? The rate for two rooms at the Mercur is the same as the rate of a two bedroom apartment at the Millennium Court.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,486 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hotel

yes, it is not an especially inviting place, somewhat sterile and chain-y (and in my view overpriced); in that area my favorite place to stay (because i favor true boutique hotels with small and welcoming staff) is the Gerloczy. Halfway between the Gerloczy and the Zichy is the Bohem Art Hotel, which I also like, though it is not as warm and mitteleuropaische as the Gerloczy. There are several new places like the EuroStars and the over-the-top Buddha monstrosity; the Zara just off Vaci utca is said to be quite nice as a small hotel, and I have toured and found the Residence Baron kind of quirky and interesting: http://www.residencebaron.hu

Then there are the high-service 5-star venues near Deak ter ... only the Marriott has river views, but the Kempinski and Meridien are very high end service and comfort. Not far away, the best hotel in Budapest - the Four Seasons Gresham - is one of the great hotels of the world, and charges as though someone there knows that to be the case.

Bombay
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hotel

Hello Johnfarago,

Sorry, I just saw your post as I did not get a notification from Tripadvisor and I just checked the thread on an offchance that there might be a post. I checked on the Gerloczy but it is full. I also checked the Bohem Art hotel. The cancellable rooms are at €135 against 105 at the Mercure, not that it is such a big issue. But locationwise, the Mercure appears to be better (???). Frankly, I don't mind the sterile atmosphere in a hotel. I would be hardly spending any waking hours there.

Of course the five star hoels like the Four Seasons are always nice to stay at, but they are too rich for my blood LOL.

Wish you and yours all the best for 2013,

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
81 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hotel

Hello,

We just returned from Budapest and Central Europe over Christmas. Budapest is a very large city and regardless where you stay you'll need to travel (metro, tram, taxi) to see the sights. We bought a 7 day metro card and went everywhere in the metro or city tram - never used a taxi. The maps are very easy to follow and even though we didn't speak any Hungarian, we never got lost.

When we travel, we generally stay at 4 star hotels, however on this vacation our goal was to try and see the cities and experience the holidays from a local perspective: for us this meant staying in B&B's, using private guides and taking cooking classes.

In Budapest we stayed at Kapital Inn. We felt like a houseguest and not a tourist. This is a bit different than the choices you seem to be looking at but I recommend checking it out. Kapital Inn is located off one of the most beautiful streets in Budapest and is convenient to the metro.

Again, very different experience but I have a feel for Budapest and the people that I don't think I would have gotten at a large hotel.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hotel

When we would walk from the Zichy toward the river we always walked by the Mercur and it always seemed very busy. John mentioned the breakfast at the Zichy, while it is a buffet, it is not typical of most hotel buffets offered for breakfast. The food was plentiful, there was a variety of offerings, and incredibly good. On the weekend there was champagne. I also liked that on the morning of our departure we were provided with a "sack" breakfast consisting of items we might have chosen at the buffet. This was not requested but was part of the hospitality of the hotel. If it was not for the fact that our upcoming trip to Budapest was for 4 weeks, we would once again choose the Zichy. The fact that we could walk to any location we wanted (we enjoy a good walk) was certainly a major plus for us and a way to walk off a great breakfast.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
168 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hotel

Just stayed at the Opera Garden Hotel and really liked it. It is 4 stars--within easy walking distance of most everything -- need to take a cab if you are coming into Keleti train station. The front desk was very helpful with a cab from the airport for us.

Bombay
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Hotel

Ogo Cinco,

The Kapital Inn looks like a lovely place to stay at. Specially after what you write about it. My only problem is climbing up all those steps. But for that .........

Greyhound,

Champagne breakfast on Saturday and a sack breakfast for an early checkout sounds so good. Very thoughtful of the hotel.

Tunasf,

The Opera Garden hotel also looks good.

So many choices! Thank you guys for all the recommendations. I think I will stay with the Mercure for the time being.

29. Re: Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, January 06, 2014