We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Stephen's (Istvan) Cathedral concerts- pros and cons

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
455 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
St. Stephen's (Istvan) Cathedral concerts- pros and cons

There are three for profit organizations that rent the Cathedral after it closes at 7 pm. The Cathedral is swept of visitors and closed. Then it opens in about ten minutes for ticket holders only.

All the concerts revolve around the magnificent organ and the splendid acoustics. There is no reverb- just clean music.A higher price gets you a thicker pad on your chair but no appreciable acoustic plus.

It is worth going to any concert just to hear the Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor done full throttle in a large, good acoustic setting.

Among the cons is the length of the concerts. Ours was to be 60 minutes but that apparently includes the ten minutes to seat the listeners. The cellist and the organist had iinsufficient practice together and that was painfully evident in phrasing and volume. We were hustled out of the Cathedral after 40 minutes of music including one encore.

Note! There is no easy handicapped access to the concert. You have to climb the stairs-in spots without a handrail. No wheelchair ramps.

Bournemouth, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Stephen's (Istvan) Cathedral concerts- pros and cons

Thanks for the info about disabled access, haven't been able to find out much about how easy it'll be to get around in my wheelchair but the few things I have seen don't bode well!

Bournemouth, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Stephen's (Istvan) Cathedral concerts- pros and cons

Thanks for the info about disabled access, haven't been able to find out much about how easy it'll be to get around in my wheelchair but the few things I have seen don't bode well!

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
455 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Stephen's (Istvan) Cathedral concerts- pros and cons

Budapest is in the early days of tourist wheelchair friendly environments.

Most international hotel chains are well prepared with elevatirs/lifts and at least one handicapped room. However there are strange gaps. Our hotel, the Mercure Buda, near the palace, had rooms but a strange three step drop into the diningroom where you ate breakfast and no ramp.

The metro system has no lifts to speak of and the busses/trams were inaccessible except for tram line 4/6. Even there, you had to get ontp this tram from a curbed platform with no ramp cutout for access.

The Museum of Fine Arts in the park had wheelchair access via lift. It was like entering a speakeasy. You went around to the side of the main steps and spoke into a speaker. Somebody on the guard staff then ran the lift for you to the main entrance level. But, the elevator to the ground floor with the cafe and the handicapped toilets was out of order.

Wouldn't you really rather go to Paris?

Bournemouth, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Stephen's (Istvan) Cathedral concerts- pros and cons

I do adore Paris, and rate it very highly for accessibility but I have no intention of letting my disability stop me from seeing the rest of the world! Plus I need more kindle for my accessible travel blog! http://hotwheelsgoes.wordpress.com/

How long ago did you go? I did some transport route plans from where we're going to be staying (right by Istvan) to various sights with the wheelchair box ticked and it came back with lots of bus routes with the wheelchair symbol. I wonder if the fleet has been updated recently? (ok I'm hoping!)

I'm more worried about the fact I hate the cold!

5. Re: St. Stephen's (Istvan) Cathedral concerts- pros and cons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 21, 2013