We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
h k
breda
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Hi there, i'm planning a trip to Budapest. In a book there was a referance to a 'famous' childrens book.

The Paul street boys. As i was looking online i can't seem te find the book in my own language, so i went looking further. I can find the book in English, but te costs of sending it are really high.

So my question is. Can i buy the book in English in Budapest. Our hotel is close to the actual Paul street. I red in a book, that it's available there.

Does anyone know if the book is still manditory in school for the children to read?

Has anyone here maybe read it? If yes? Was it a good book? (I already know the ending is sad)

As you can read this is not my first language, i hope you understand what i'm writing.

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

According to Hungarian wikipedia, "A Pál utcai fiúk" (The Paul Street Boys/ No Greater Glory in English translation) is translated to Dutch, the title is "De jongens van de Pálstraat" if it's any help to you.

I cannot help you to find the English/Dutch version in Budapest.

I think the book is still mandatory reading in elementary school in Hungary.

It's quite popular, several movies are made from this novel, even in English language.

The story is about the life of scoolboys in the beginning of the 20th century, it's about war of gangs, brotherhood, devotion, etc.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Amazon has a copy available for £13 from the US, UK delivery rate is £2.80

h k
breda
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Thanks for your postings,

Yes, i have found one copy, but this Dutch version costs over 70 euros, and thats a bit too much.

The book on amazon needs to be puchased with a credit card and i don't own one myself. I live in the Netherlands, but i believe te shipping costs are the same.

I still hope the book is easily to find in Budapast itself, otherwise i have to ask a friend to buy the book for me with a cc.

talendon
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Hi, you can buy this book in several bookshops in Budapest.

For example here:

nyelvkonyvbolt.hu/hu/…

The adress of the shop: 1085 Budapest Kölcsey u. 2.

Yes it's a mandatory book in schools for the children in Hungary.

Edited: 2:23 pm, October 15, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Hello H K

Try this one, it is a book for teaching purposes and it is an "easy read". This means that the book translated by using not hard vocabulary.

libri.hu/idegen_nyelvu/konyv/the-paul-street…

I have checked thee stocks for you and they have plenty in every Libri Bookstore (there is one at Blaha Lujza square - in the old Corvin store).

The bookstore what Talendon recommended is also a good one. All English teachers go there to get their books, so I am sure you can buy one there.

It is a really good book. I surely recommend it!

Shabba

Scotland
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Hi HK,

A few weeks back, I saw a stack of your book, in English, in the Paris Bookshop - 39 Andrassy ut.

Hope this helps.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

I love this book, yes it is still on the must read list of kids.

It is one of the best Hungarian novels I believe (besides Ottlik, Kertesz and some other authors). The complete film has been uploaded to youtube directed by the ingenious Zoltan Fabry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em9g-hPupAY).

On the surface, or narrative level it is about the territorial fight of two teams made up of young boys, who are ready to fight seriously for their beloved 'grund' (ground) as if they were fighting for their nation, home, life. As usual with great novels, there are lots of interpretations of the novel, challenging readers from time to time again.

I especially love it for its good dialogues and its powerful ways to convey the realities of childhood, the dynamics of friendship, honesty, dishonesty, loyalty, etc. A good read.

h k
breda
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Thank you so much for your answers. I'm glad that the book is available in Budapest, in English.

Because many hungarian sites have no 'translate to English' button. I didn't seach on the websites of hungarian bookstores.

Many thanks or in Dutch; Heel erg bedankt!

Amstelveen, The...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

Ok i was also looking for the translation for this book but yes it's a little bit too expensive. I got this book as a present from my girlfriend that i met in Budapest and Budapest is one of my favorit cities (I'm dutch/surinam). She bought it in a bookstore in Budapest but wich one i don't know :-(. She also gave me "More one minute stories" by istvan örkeny and "The nosty boy's affair with Mary Toth" by Kalman Mikszath...

libri.hu/idegen_nyelvu/konyv/the-paul-street , this is the one i have

She gave me the book just to read and i'm half way now and i like it till.

Soon i will visit her and she will show me the the street where it al started.

I hope you helped till now for the book and i hope you'll have a nice time in Budapest.....

In Dutch; Ik wens je heel veel leesplezier- i wish you lots of fun reading.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hungarian book, the paul street boys

The Paul Street Boys is must - one of the best children books of all time. I just recently ordered that book in English on Amazon for my child to read although there are many complaints about English translation. I have to wait to see it but my childhood version, translation into Serbo-croat was superb.