We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange money in Budapest

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
392 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange money in Budapest

When I arrived at early hour of the morning from Prague overnight train. I believe the exchange bureaus are not open yet. Is it possible to change some Florint in Prague just so I can get to my hotel??

Hungary
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

The currency is the Forint (HUF) not "florint".

What prevents you from paying via Credit/Debit Card or withdrawing money until the exchange bureaus open? While I'm sure some of the bigger chains may be open, you'll get a poor rate.

Two good ones are below:

http://northline.hu

http://correctchange.hu

singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

We, in Asia, are not as fortunate as u guys in the US when it comes to all these currency conversion costs.

In Singapore, there is no money changer who sell neither Czech koruna nor hungarian forint as they were not major currencies.

Thus, by using credit/debit card when we were overseas, there would be numerous conversion costs involved ie from forint - us$ - s$ whereas for Americans it would simply be 1 layer of conversion. To top it off, our banks would also charge us additional administrative fees.

I'm thinking of changing s$ -> € -> forint. I prefer to use cash whenever I'm on holiday to pay for everthing. However due to the scarcity of these currencies in my country and not to mention the difficulty of scouring for a good moneychanger in these cities that i plan to visit, i might have to do a cost analysis and weigh the feasibility of these two options.

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

i just came back from budapest last thursday

you ARE safe with EURO

i used fo taxi from the airport, they take euros

bear in mind, i arrived at 10.35 by the time i checked into hotel it was around midnight and there is nowhere to eat at that time... mcD isn't even 24 hour

there is a kebab place on vati utca, the chicken kebab is safe...everything else is microwaved!!

if you need any help feel free to PM me in english or chinese

Hungary
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

Why would s/he want to pay 10-15% more?

That's the expenditure when paying in Euros in a country that still uses its own currency.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

I don't think you can get Forint money in Prague easily...but worth to try.

When we went there, we used our debit card. It is still far better than exchanging money in train station and around 5% less than the best rate we could get in Budapest.

If I am in your position, I will delay my hotel checkin until I can exchange money on good rate. I will use debit card or exchange few Euros and all available CZK left in my pocket to cover the spending until the good exchange bureau opens.

Just put your luggages in the hotel.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

Yes, I believe that Forint are readily available in Prague; I don't know what the currency exchange rates are like that there, though ... i am sure others do

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-c183000/Budap…

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

*Why would s/he want to pay 10-15% more?

That's the expenditure when paying in Euros in a country that still uses its own currency.*

bearing in mind this traveller is coming from hong kong

hong kong dollar into euro in hong kong will be alot more than them changing hong kong dollar into the forint in prague

also euro is easily available in hong kong

its just more convinient for the traveller to last them till the sun comes out when the travel bureaus are open

Edited: 6:04 pm, October 13, 2012
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
392 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

Indeed it is Cutebaby, we can't get forint here in HK and I have checked various exhange websites in Budapest, they don't seem to accept HK dollars, and I am sure even if some will accept, the rate must be horrible as it is obviously not a major currency in Europe. Ii will be easier for me to use Euro as I will be heading to Vienna after Budspest.

The perfect situation will be getting some HUF in Prague, otherwise, i would have to take a taxi using Euros.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
392 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

John, I have found the following input from you from an old thread (from 2009),

If the posted rate spread is 5 Forint or less there is no real value to shopping around, even if you find a better rate, it won't be much better and you likely have better ways to spend your time.

I would add one further note: you won't always find a spread of 4-5 Forints no matter how hard you search; the spread depends on the perceived volatility of the currency markets and when things seem widely indeterminate and no one is sure which way things are headed, the average spread increases, these days sometimes dramatically...you should be able to find a total spread (Sell rate - Buy rate) within the 8 Forint range almost all of the time.

I have just checked the http://correctchange.hu/index.php?p=arf website and it gives selling rate for Euro as 279.9 and a buying rate of 278.01, the spread is only like 2 Forint. am I getting it right, it seems so good,

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hungary
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchange money in Budapest

Northline in this case would have the better rate which is why I said to compare.

See links above.