We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the Mav Start train second class seats like?

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
What are the Mav Start train second class seats like?

Hi.

I'm catching a Mav Start train tomorrow from Budapest to Prague. I'm in second class and wondering if anyone can give me some tips on using the train? Can you sit where you like on second class and if so, do some of the seats have power sockets? Is there food available, what's it like, is it reasonably priced or would you recommend bringing some along?

Thanks to anyone out there who can give me some advice.

Save Reply
11. Re: What are the Mav Start train second class seats like?

We purchased two first class Railjet tickets from Budapest to Vienna via Mav-Start online. Unfortunately, I just realized that the 2 seats that were automatically assigned were right outside of WC and apart from each other (seats 11 and 15 in car 26). You did mention that we can change seats once we are on the train if we don't like them. Right? Do we have to wait until everyone is on board?

Also, we are considering paying the extra $15 for premium seats. Do we do them when we arrive Budapest station? Can we do it at the first class lounge or we have to stop by their ticket office first?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What are the Mav Start train second class seats like?

Here is a seating plan stscms.com/FileUpload/…Railjet_seat_map.pdf and seats 11 and 15 are the last ones in this row 360cities.net/image/…42.2 - you wouldn't even notice that you were near the WC as the entrance is out through the door and around the corner.

But you will be able to sit in any seat that isn't reserved (this will be indicated electronically above the seat). It shouldn't be anywhere near full as most people go second. You can pay the extra €15 ($19,50) for business class on the train when asked by the conductor, maybe also in the first class lounge. You get free drinks but no free meals.

Edited: 8:49 pm, March 11, 2013
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
9 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What are the Mav Start train second class seats like?

Glad to report the train from Budapest to Vienna was a great value. And really can;t see paying a cent more for 1st class. 2nd class was great. We actually went 1st class from Vienna to Prague, and it wasn't as nice as the 2nd class seats on the train from Budapest to Prague. We had power outlets, Wi-Fi and a Food/Beverage car on the BUD-VIE train. With our 1st class seats, there was no Wi-FI and no Food/Beverage car. Go figure!!

14. Re: What are the Mav Start train second class seats like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 08, 2014