We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report to Budapest

England
Level Contributor
317 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report to Budapest

Had a great weekend in Budapest over the Easter Weekend.

We stayed at the KK Opera hotel in the new wing. The staff were extremely helpful making restaurant bookings, taxis etc., the breakfasts were also extremely good with a great selection. KK Opera as you guess is near to the Opera and very near to the metro station, line 1.

We took a taxi from the airport (you received a ticket which states the price), took less than 30 mins but guess so quick as Good Friday.

On the Friday eve we ate at Százéves (100 Years Old), in a good location very near to the River Danube. Very lovely inside, each table was serenaded with the gypsy music who you should tip. We had a nice meal but the most expensive out of all 3 eve meals and not the best; this could have been because we didn’t chose too wisely.

We had a private tour on the Saturday with a guide called Peter who collected us from our hotel. A great half day trip, the trip was longer than stated and Peter didn’t charge any more. I would really recommend using Peter instead of going on a big tour and he gave us loads of good tips. Visited both Buda and Pest, St Peter’s Basilica, Jewish Quarter, Heroes Square all major attractions.

Saturday night we went to Café Kor, really lovely food. A nice cosy atmosphere and you should definitely book as very busy. The goat’s cheese salad was lovely and a huge starter. I had the steak from the specials board and that was also delicious!! Good wine list and would definitely go back.

We then walked up to Liszt Ferenc Ter), great atmosphere loads of trendy bars and restaurants. We sat outside and people watched.

Sunday we got the metro to Szechenyi Spa (located in the park near the Zoo), the metro is really quaint and the trains only 3 carriage long, also very frequent! The Spa was busy and it was warm enough to walk around in a swimming costume, everything is outside. If you are hiring a towel make sure you don’t loose your ticket as you pay at 3,000 deposit and if you loose your ticket you loose your deposit!!

We took a river boat trip in the afternoon, very relaxing and great listening to the recording.

The eve we ate at Mokka and a lovely restaurant, also has a great menu. The service was fantastic until the last half hour which was a shame, had to ask twice for the bill and then go and great our coats ourselves from the cloakroom, could have taken anyone’s coat. Other than that would definitely visit again. The chocolate dessert was amazing.

Had a night cap in Goa restaurant which is lovely and would eat there if I visited Budapest again.

We tried to visit the Terror museum on the Monday but it was closed. We walked back to Heroes Sq and visited the art museum and stopped for coffee at Lukacs, which is a lovely coffee shop, the outside doesn’t not do it justice.

Have fun!!!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Jewish Quarter
Jewish Quarter
87 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Heroes' Square
Heroes' Square
9,748 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Cafe Kor
Cafe Kor
1,804 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
New York, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report to Budapest

Thanks so much for your report on Budapest. It was great reading. I have already planned my trip to Budapest for this july. Will try out some of the places u mentioned.

thanks again!

maggie

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
NE England
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report to Budapest

Great reading and brought back memories of our trip to Budapest last year. We too ate at Mokka twice in fact and both times food and service wonderful. We were there last May and eating outside was wonderrful. Pity the Terror museum was closed, a very good place to visit would suggest anyone going to rent the audio guide well worth the money

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
New York, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report to Budapest

Can u please tell me where Mokka Restaurant is?

and any other restaurant or good home cooking places to seek out.

thanks

maggie

NE England
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report to Budapest

Mokka is close to the Basilica google Mokka and you can reach the website

NE England
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report to Budapest

Patsey did you have the chilled chocolate soup

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report to Budapest

Hi patsey,

Loved reading your report. Thanks a lot! We were in Budapest a month ago, and had a great time too though missed Százéves. Feel like we'll have to go back there!

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
New York, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report to Budapest

now I'm feeling like i'm in the loop. whats Szvates? also, as i said i'm going to Budapest alone for three full days in july. anyone wanna suggest how should i spend my three days (three full days and nites) in budapest safely and fun. I love flea markets and love good food.

also, i noticed some people are "experts" for certain cities around the world. how did u obtain that status> thanks

maggie

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Salisbury
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report to Budapest

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We had a great time in Budapest recently too. Just one correction - in case you give the wrong impression to other visitors - the baths at Szechenyi are definitely not all outside! Maybe you missed the indoor part? There are lots of different heated baths inside and you can just wander from one to the next and work your way around them all. Most people start with the outdoor ones and then move indoors. Great fun and very relaxing.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary