We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by train to Budapest from London

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Travel by train to Budapest from London

I have heard that travelling by train in Europe is quite breathtaking and was wondering if its possible to travel to Budapest from London by train.

I know that the time taken would be a lot more than flights but what about cost and the safety factor for a female travelling on her own?

I am planning to travel in October so any suggestions and recommendations will be great.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel by train to Budapest from London

Have a look at www.seat61.com - it should tell you all you need to know,

You are leaving it quite late for the best priced tickets, though.

In terms of safety would much rather take my chances on a train in continental Europe than on the London Underground!

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel by train to Budapest from London

Thanks GCEK.

Have looked at all options and flying is the cheapest so have decided to go by plane instead.

If I land in Budapest late at night say around 11:30 can I still take the public transport to get to my hotel?? or would it be safer to go by taxi?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel by train to Budapest from London

Safety is not really the issue here, it is more a matter of whether public transport to your hotel runs at that time - a local will give you better information about that.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,232 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel by train to Budapest from London

Budapest airport taxi www.fotaxi.hu

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel by train to Budapest from London

if you land at 11.30 the chances are you wont vacate the arrivals hall till 12.15

bit late for public transport IMHO

fotaxi is right outside the door

or maybe an airport shuttlebus

tony

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel by train to Budapest from London

To be clear: public transit normal routes, including the metros, will have shut down at that time, leaving skeletal night bus service. It is possible to get into the city center from the airport by night bus, but the taxis are relatively inexpensive by European standards and, as Tony says, available right there at the curb. For one or two more euros you can also have a driver meet you as you exit the secure area inside the terminal (a very short walk to the curb; there is no need to do this but it might provide a feeling of security and someone who will not only drive you point to point but help to troubleshoot any issues that can arise as a result of a late arrival, either at the airport or at your lodging; have a look at::

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-c165968/Budap…

Safety anywhere has two components, only one of which is a significant issue late at night in Budapest: danger, and getting lost. Budapest is quite safe, safer in all likelihood than a late arrival in London and your concerns should be, at most, generic -- the same questions and reasons for prudence you would bring to bear anywhere in Europe.

The possibility of getting lost late at night in Budapest when venturing on its night bus system for the first time, and the consequences of doing so if it happens, are a different story. Most of the city closes down quite early; like many cities built around a comparatively straight river, many of the city's streets arc rather than heading in a straight line, and except in the very center of town there will be very few people speaking anything like any language you're familiar with (unless you speak Hungarian) late at night even if you come across someone on the street to ask for directions (during the day when there are lots of people around this will not generally be an issue)

That's why Tony is right: take a taxi or a shuttle bus.

7. Re: Travel by train to Budapest from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 24, 2013