We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

dalton
Level Contributor
42 posts
22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

We would like to plan a long layover in Amsterdam which would make our arrival to the Budapest airport at 22:40. We want to stay at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy, but what is the best procedure for getting picked up at the airport and getting to our hotel at this late hour (later after we get luggage, etc.)? Thank you for the best suggestion in this matter.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

Hi JS O,

This is not an issue. I arrive regularly on a 23:50 arrival flight. The taxi stand is immediately outside the arrivals hall. Tell them where you're headed and off you go. Once bags in hand and in taxi you'll be at he hotel in 30ish minutes. The baggage service is obstensibly slow, so bring your patience cap.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

dalton
Level Contributor
42 posts
2. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

Thanks. Forum notes advise to get a Citi Taxi Cab because most of the drivers speak English and they are very good. About how much $$$ should it cost to get into Budapest? Our hotel is very close to the city center. Do you get Euros or what to pay the driver? Thank you for your advise on this matter.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

The taxi company with the contract with the airport is Fotaxi. Their drivers speak English just fine. They will take credit cards, Hungarian Forints or Euros, The rate into town is 6000 ft and the return if you keep your receipt is 3990 ft. Rates are a little higher if you pay in Euro. Once in town I generally call City Taxi for local trips but for no good reason. bud.hu/english/…by_taxi

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
119 reviews
4. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

Hi JSO

We also stayed at the Palazzo Zichy. You'll love it. We used the Airport Shuttle and booked it online. It was quick and easy to use. You go to their desk just outside the arrivals at the airport and they arrange your pick up and they will also pick you up and take you back to the airport. I can't remember what I paid but it was very reasonable for the two of us and very efficient.The airport shuttle website is airportshuttle/hu. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

The shuttle service i understand is pretty excellent. From what i understand the wait time to fill the shuttle at the airport is less than 15 minutes and I doubt that it adds more than 30 minutes of drive time from the airport to the last hotel stop. If you are a people person you might get a chance to use the time to talk to locals and other tourists on the van and maybe get some last minute tips. Best of all is that its about USD 5 less expensive on a round trip as compared to Fotaxi.

bud.hu/english/…by_airportshuttle

USA
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

Sorry, the savings is based on a couple traveling together. For an individual the savings is much better. For three traveling together i am not sure if a taxi is not actually cheaper.

dalton
Level Contributor
42 posts
7. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

Good to hear of "first-hand" experience. Hope the late hour, probably midnight by the time we get our bags, etc., will not be a problem. Guess we can get the taxi if the shuttle is not available.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

At that time of night, if there are two or more of you the savings in the shuttle would be negligible and the benefits in my view pretty close to non-existent. But in others' view I'm sure the balance would come out differently. For me, at midnight I just want to register and get into my room as fast as possible. I don't want to wait 15 minutes for the van to fill up, or traipse around town in the dark dropping others off (though the Zichy is likely among the earliest stops, given its location; but that's a guess, not a certainty).

Whatever your preference, though, you'll have options on arrival. And they will be clear and obvious; it is a very easy airport to deal with.

9. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:43 am, August 06, 2012
Hungary
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: 22.40 late airport arrival into Budapest=problem?

KLM has some showers! (Of course you have be a medallion member)

Otherwise for only 15 Euros, schiphol.nl/Travellers/…FreshenUp.htm

Edited: 12:21 am, July 30, 2012