We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Service charges on food and drink bills.

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
415 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Service charges on food and drink bills.

I have just noticed a post regarding added service charges of 10% to 25% on bills.

We dont mind and usually give a tip (say around £3.00) but we are not going to be dictated to like this, nor do we wish to feel embarrassed in front of other diners because it is going to be difficult to discuss of the language barrier.

We will be paying for all our meals by cash and may require change.

What is the best way to handle this situation?

It is my 60th birthday treat and I do not want any uncomfortable situations. Just a happy and relaxed time.

Could you give us some advice please

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Service charges on food and drink bills.

I think that I may not be understanding the question...

Prices in hungary always include the AFA as Rawlee says. Receipts often (and all official receipts always) break out the cost of the AFA at the bottom of the bill.

If the bill breaks it out, you may see the words 'netto' (net price that the establishment receives) and 'brutto' (gross price you pay including AFA).

The menu should list gross -- brutto -- prices, and if you get a bill that seeks to add 27% above the menu prices without any indication anywhere on the menu that the price listed is 'netto' you have an absolute righ to ask what is going on, and to object unless they can point out something that says what they are doing.

I get receipts very commonly that break out the AFA for food and for drinks. But the total is routinely the menu price. If you were given a printed receipt that added 27% to the menu price, or, worse, added it by hand, you should name the restaurant here to alert others.

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Service charges on food and drink bills.

It was the Shalimar Indian restaurant on Dob utca 50, Budapest. The food was OK, not great, but when I went to pay the bill, each item had 27% AFA tax added to it.

I questioned the waiter and he confirmed that the additional charge was tax, but I find this to be suspicious since no other restaurant we went to did this. At all the other restaurants we went to, the AFA tax was broken out at the bottom of the bill, but had been included in the original menu price.

I checked the Shalimar online menu and although it mentioned that "small portions are charged at 60% full price" it made no mention of tax not being included.

I would not go there again, and advise other travelers to use caution.

33. Re: Service charges on food and drink bills.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014