We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use of credit cards

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
261 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Use of credit cards

My husband and I are visiting in July for four nights. I've had a good look through the forum and find the information excellent and most comprehensive. Could you tell me if credit cards are widely accepted as we don't like to carry too much cash.

Wexford Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Use of credit cards

Hi

We spent a week in Budapest in May and used a credit card to pay for all our meals and there was no problem anywhere.

Enjoy this lovely city!

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Use of credit cards

While widely accepted in midrange restaurants and above, credit cards are far from universally accepted and are generally not accepted in low cost restaurants and in non-tourist businesses. If you have an ATM card that you are comfortable using abroad, the combination of that card, a credit card if you want one beyond the ATM debit card, and about GBP 50 in cash will steer you through most any eventuality.

Hungary
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Use of credit cards

Visa and MasterCard are fairly prominent whereas American Express is less common. A few places I've been throughout the years have been "cash only" to avoid the tax man.

I've always used by Charles Schwab Visa without any issues.

Edited: 7:17 pm, June 25, 2012
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Use of credit cards

It's not just a matter of avoiding taxes ... It is very difficult for a small business to get a merchant account in Hungary, and until recently card-related fraud, and chargebacks to the merchant, made cards a significant risk for those small businesses able to get a merchant account. And of course there is the 3-5% fee for processing transactions.

Scotland
Level Contributor
261 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Use of credit cards

Thanks for the help. You are a real authority on the city and I have learned a lot about Budapest from reading your regular posts.

6. Re: Use of credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, June 28, 2013