We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Places to eat

I've just booked a long weekend in November with my partner. He is a complete foodie, so I would like to know if anyone has any restaurant recommendations for us. We're staying between the Danube and Castle Hill in Buda. Many thanks

Roseville,CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat

The museum restaurant, next to the Hungarian National Museum is good and the service is excellent. The restaurant is called the Muzeum I think. It's the first restaurant on the same street next to the museum. We also went on the dinner cruise with the opera singers and it was EXCELLENT. It's not like that cheap, 2nd class boat cruise entertainment you would expect. It's really good and the views of the city were great. We were both pleasantly surprised. There are some good restaurants away from the tourist sites, just like anywhere else, that are good and very cheap. I think the food in Budapest has gotten much better than previously advertised.

Chatham, Kent
Level Contributor
87 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat

We stayed in Pest for 3 nights in July and loved it. All the food we had was good and quite cheap. Wine is also good value. We ate twice at Ketszerecsen which is at Nagymez Utca 14 ( near Oktogon Metro ) They have a website - Ketszerecsen.com which has details of menu etc. It's worth the short trip from Buda. We liked the goats cheese with baked apple starter and the floating islands desert. All the mains we tried were yummy. The four of us had starters, mains, deserts and coffees washed down with 3 bottles of wine and it came to ��20.00 per head!!!

At another place I tried goose livers with mashed potatoes and peaches which sounds like a strange combination but it was really good. I was expecting goulash everywhere and paprika on everything but that was not the case. I'm sure your partner's tastebuds will be suitably impressed.

Have a good time.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat

Thanks for your ideas. I definitely like the sound of the boat with opera. Do you need to book, ot can you just turn up?

Chester, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat

If you get chance eat in 'Spoon' - it is a boat on the Danube by the famous Chain Bridge with fabulous views - it's truly amazing at night. Wonderful food, cool background music and great staff. You wouldn't think you were on a boat, it is so swanky and a visit to the toilets is a must!

I have the details of the restaurant if you need them (phone etc.) but it's situated outside the Inter Continental Hotel.

It is a MUST for anyone in Budapest. My partner and I had a 3 course meal each, a bottle of wine and some cocktails for about 50 pounds. It's one of the best restaurants ever! Ask to be seated on the right hand side as you walk in.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat

Would be really grateful for the boat restaurant number. I take it they are ok speaking english?!

Chester, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat

Certainly!

My partner booked it as a surprise before we went. The number on the business card is 411-0933 or 411-0934.

They have a website http://www.spooncafe.hu

We sat in the Lounge section (to the right as you walk in).

Hope you like it!

Chester, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat

Forgot to say -

They all speak good English.

Also, when you have a look at www.spooncafe.hu click on 'Kepek' and scroll through all the images.....need I say any more?

Enjoy!

Heather

HP
co.durham, england
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat

Going to stay at Novotel Centrum, Budapest which I know is the Pest side. Anyone got any advice!!! Also read a recommendation to eat at Spoon, has anyone got contact details so I can book prior to trip or any other suggetions of places to eat and things to do.

erf
phx, az
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat

We just returned from Budapest and as a foodie the highlight of my dining was GUNDEL. Gundel is an old Budapest restaurant, 1876, something like that,anyway it is the way you would expect Budapest in the 19th century, the food was excellent, the service impecable, Gentlemen must wear a jacket, theyspeak english, lovely hungarian music but a spurlge. Try the goose liver asan entree instead of the appetizer. Dinner with wine , desert was $100, for twobut worth it. It made my trip to Budapest.

NW, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat

We ate twice (it was so good we broke our rule about eating in different places each night) at Cafe Mezzo. If you walk from Oktogon underground station, go past Liszt Ferenc T��r (popular pedestrianised street full of bars) for a short while, you will find it on your right. Very nice food, good laid back atmosphere and good staff.