We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Vienna

India
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest to Vienna

Hi,

What's the best way to go from Budapest to Vienna - by train or by boat on danube. How much time would the latter take?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Prateek

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Vienna

I was looking at the latter and it seems like it's a 6.5 hour trip by hydrofoil and quite expensive by comparison to the train. By train, it looks like you can do a day trip pretty easily, but the boat route requires at least an overnight stay. May not be an issue if you're planning to stay in Vienna for a while but I want to do a day trip and get back to Budapest.

India
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Vienna

Thanks for the reply. I think 6.5 hours is a bit much. I guess the train takes under three hours. Even though we are staying at Vienna, I am not sure I want to spend 6 and a half hours traveling between the two cities.

Greenwood Village...
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Vienna

Sorry for the delay... meant to post this earlier. Here's the site for (at least one of) the hydrofoil provider...

http://www.mahartpassnave.hu/webset32.cgi?MAHART@@EN@@38@@GOOGLEBOT

Looks like it leaves Budapest at 09:00 and arrives 15:30. That's a lot of time in a hydrofoil, even on such a beautiful river as the Danube. Now others may have made the trip and have good reviews. I'm going for my first time this fall.

It's also 125 euros round trip per person. By contrast, the train is roughly 25-33 euros according to this site:

http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll

There are plenty of threads on here covering the purchase of rail tickets. Sounds like you can go down the day of the trip and get one. I think it's about 2.5 hours. Seems like the way to go to me.

I think I'll float down the Danube from a day trip to Szentendre to get my water sports in. (-:

Have a terrific time there! I'm already counting the seconds to my trip.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Vienna

Hey Prateek,

The train is 3ish hours, nice and smooth, and some nice (mostly flat) country side scenery. The hydrafoil on the other hand, is quite loud, a bit bumpy, and not that pleasurable from a scenic standpoint, because you are indoors on the train and the windows are so-so in terms of spray. Did I mention it's loud?

Take the train. It's easy. It's simple. And it's much quieter! Hope you and Colorado enjoy Budapest.

Jeremy

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Vienna

The train costs €13 single and €25 for an 'excursion' return, or €31 which includes a 2-day public transport pass in Vienna, which is excellent value.

It is all explained in here europetrainsguide.com/Countries/Hungary/Hung… including how to book tickets on-line. The excursion tickets have to be bought in person.

India
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest to Vienna

Thanks a lot guys. This is very helpful and definitely has helped us make up pur mind on this. Cheers.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest to Vienna

I took the hydrofoil boat years ago and it was a lot of fun but it is more than twice the duration of the same trip via train. The scenery has changed somewhat since a partial diversion of the Danube along the Austrian, Slovak, Hungarian border as well. Take the train.

new york
Level Contributor
308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest to Vienna

I thought there are buses that take 2-3 hours from Budapest to Vienna???

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest to Vienna

Yes www.orangeways.Com but more than 3 hours.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest to Vienna

Hi All Wow w are coming to budapest for the first time and was going to do a boat trip down to vienna we really thought it was about 3 hours max by boat so glad I read this tread

Where is Szentendre ? The day trip to Szentendre is that nearer and quicker what is Szentendre ?

Thanks for your help/advice