We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Prague

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
141 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Prague

We will need two one-way tickets from Budapest to Prague in mid June.

Older threads indicate that I cannot buy the tickets online but I wondered if that has changed. It appears I can buy them through Czech Transport. Is that correct?

If we cannot buy them online, we will be arriving in Budapest 4 days earlier. Can I buy them at the train station when I arrive? Should I wait until the day we are leaving for Prague?

It is a six hour ride. Would it be better to take a night train or is it scenic and a nice trip in itself?

Do they sell out? We don't want to be stranded.

Thanks!

169 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

No way seats will get sold out, but in advance purchase makes sense for a different reason - it allows to purchase discounted SparDay tickets, which are much cheaper than the price you'll pay when buying at the station before departure

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

I tried buying the tickets online but failed. Eventually I went on the first day on arrival in Budapest direct to the train station for tickets. I also bought 1st class but beware that there is only 1 train compartment and around 15+ cabins or so. If one buys a 'single' cabin (usually one cabin allows for 2 persons), then it can be sold out quite quickly. I suggest you buy it beforehand. The day we got onto the train, the compartment was nearly full. There was a Japanese tour there too, apart from others. Service was good, shower room is perfect. Love it! Hope you enjoy your trip! AND yes, I also too got a discount price.

Edited: 9:12 pm, June 20, 2013
Jacksonville Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

EuropeanTrainsGuide I was very successful booking two first class tickets from Budapest to Prague using Mav Start and your how to guide. Thank you for all your guidance on this feed. My tickets were 35 Euro a piece, not bad considering I almost bought second class tickets on Czech-Transport for 59 Euro a piece. To everyone out there, this sight is very user friendly now, with almost all of it in English besides the Terms of Agreement and Privacy Policy. Just use the user guide and its a cinch!

sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to book a train from Budapest to Prague on the 20th November 2013. On which date can I book? At the moment the mav.hu site isn't allowing me to book this far in advance.

Also, can anyone confirm it is still the case that tickets cannot be printed at home? I arrive in Budapest on the 17th November so will I have to collect my ticket from one of the train stations?

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

It is far too early - they become available 60 days before travel and can be bought online until the day before travel, depending on availability.

europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

Pick the tickets up in Budapest from the ticket machine (instructions given in the link)

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
86. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

I am unable to reserve a private double sleeping compartment for my wife and myself on the overnight train from Budapest to Prague on the MAV web site. I have entered a variety of dates as near as today and as far as November, and the best that I can do is 1 success - on a date that I am not interested in, in a sleeping compartment but not in my own compartment. I continuously get a page after clicking the "Tickets and Prices" button that states "No offer available for the journey with these conditions. For the list of available offers click here".

I then thought I would follow some other advice and try to book the overnight train from Bratislava to Prague. As bad as the MAV web site is, the Slovakian train web site (http://www.slovakrail.sk/en.html) is even worse. No matter what date I enter, when I try to buy tickets, it tells me that no seat information is available.

As a result, I am thinking of booking a private double sleeping compartment on the DB Bahn web site for the train that goes from Budapest to Berlin and arrives in Prague at 4 in the morning (earlier than I would hope for). Does the conductor collect and hold passports during the trip, in which case will there be a problem getting off the train at Prague if my ticket says my final destination is Dresden or Berlin?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Which date are you looking at?

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
88. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

The MAV site is giving me availability today for a private double compartment for many dates today; maybe their system had problems yesterday.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

The couchette car (and the sleeper car as well, I think) only runs from 29.3 - 29.9 and then 25.10 - 3.11., but the system sometimes has glitches.

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

I'm also trying to get a private sleeper car for myself and one other traveling adult from Budapest to Prague, but it seems impossible to get ANYTHING! Whether it is 2nd class, 1st class, couchette or sleeper car, nothing is available on any date chosen. I even tried changing the destination, it still shows that it is unavailable. I'm assuming that it is a system problem.

But my question is, will it be too risky for us to buy the tickets when we arrive in Budapest, 3 days before our departure to Prague? Thanks a lot in advance :)

Reply to: Train from Budapest to Prague
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted